Reload this Page >

Need help with night time Boston!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:50 AM
go girl

We are planning a family trip in July and want some entertainment at night. Any ideas would be appreciated! Ages 10 and up! We have Fenway tickets but would like plays, dinner theaters or other ideas!

Thanks for your help!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Fun

If your here on the weekend there are free movies on Friday nights on the Charles River at the MDC Hatch Shell. Going out to dinner in the North End on a weekend night is always fun. Try Giacomos and Modern Pastry for desert. Take the red line, (subway) out to Harvard Square. Go to Fanuel Hall, there's plenty of restaurants and always street performer to check out.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:35 PM
sktraveler

You MUST go to the Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse. Adults and children all love it! I second Giacomos for dinner in the North End--great food and casual atmosphere. Also, try Skipjacks for a pre-theatre dinner--good seafood and not too fancy for the kids.

Enjoy!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Beth

Another vote for Blue Man Group! Also, Shear Madness, a kooky murder mystery that's been running for years. And I think Mama Mia will be playing by then; three skits featuring all ABBA music.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Cathy

I agree that a night in the North End for dinner and dessert would be fun- Mikes Pastry is popular. Museum of Science has movies in the evening at the IMAX theatre and the planetarium that your children would enjoy. Faniuel Hall also has many things going on in the evening Mamma Mia doesn't start in Boston until August 17th. Have fun!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Ann

Be sure to check what's doing at the Hatch Shell every night, not just for friday movies. The Pops play for about ten evenings at the start of the month. There are oldies concerts, and just about every night there's somehthing. There are also concerts at City Hall Plaza on weekends. I think there's also Shakespear in the Common this summer, and I believe they're doing a comedy. Check www.Boston.com or similar web sites to see what's going on as your trip approaches.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Jen

Here are some suggestions for night with the fam:

1. Hatch shell activities(as everyone's said).

2. 'Shear Madness' is a fun play about a murder (nothing too bad) and the audience helps figure it out. See http://www.shearmadness.com/Boston/boston.html.

3. Dinner in the North End, and then walk through Fanuiel (sp) hall to check out the street performers.

4. Take in an IMAX show at the Science Museum.

5. Do a Duck Tour later in the day...they do some early evening tours.

6. Do an evening cruise around Boston Harbor...your hotel should be able to help you with that.

Check out Boston under www.digitalcities.com for events!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 10:37 AM
Leta

What exactly is Blue Man Group? I see it posted frequently.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 03:36 PM
Jen

'Blue Man Group' is a show unlike any other you have seen. It's in a theater, and there are 3 Blue Men that perform. Basically, it's a series of 'skits' that aim to make fun of the art world and general human behavior. The Blue Men never speak, but their actions and behavior do. There is also a rock band above the stage, and if you have seats in front, you are required to wear a poncho.

The show allows you to escape from reality for a couple of hours, and is quite spectacular.

It's not something that anyone can describe...you just have to experience it.