Search

Need help with Napa Valley

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Napa Valley

Hello,

My husband and I are interested in visiting Napa Valley. We have never been here before (have never even been to the West Coast except for one trip to LA!) and are clueless about where to begin to book a vacation here. He is military and currently deployed, and his mid-tour leave is scheduled for sometime in October, so we'll be there in the fall.

I guess my first question is, where is the best place to stay, city-wise? Napa itself? Healdsburg? Calistoga? We are interested in doing a lot of things while we're there--of course visiting the wineries but we'd also like to check out a spa, a hot air balloon ride, shopping, etc. We would like to spend around $200 a night.

I am sure I'll be back here with more questions, but I guess I'd like to hear about where to stay to get started before I delve into anything else! Thank you in advance for any help that you are able to give.

beck626
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM

Well first of all you need to decide where you will base your stay. There is Napa county and Sonoma County..both about 1.5/ - 2 hrs north of San Francisco. Since I live in Sonoma County, I prefer that. You can always take a drive over the hill to Napa. I'd consider staying in Healdsburg. Its straight up #101 over the Golden Gate Bridge. There are lots of B&B's in the area, and for $200. a night, you will have your pick. I'd also suggest you check out www.HealdsburgRentals.com for some different places to stay. Healdsburg is a lovely little town with great shops and restaurants. You are centrally located to visit wineries in the Russian River, Dry Creek or Alexander Valley areas. I'd also check out a fantastic day spa called Osmosis... its VERY special. You can Google it. If you can fly into Oakland its a little faster to get up here than flying into San Francisco... also, try not to arrive on a Friday afternoon... traffic going North is heavy.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
Wm

Kleroux is right on about Healdsburg. The only caveat is the $200/room at B&B's does not afford that many choices any longer--sad but true! John Alexander House, Belle du Jour, Camellia Inn (very popular), Haydon Street Inn, Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza are a few with rooms in your price range. I would suggest that you book ASAP as October is a busy month in wine country and rooms at $200/night go quickly.

Go on-line to check out the hot air balloon rides available in Sonoma County. DW & I did one that included a champagne brunch. The vineyards will be in their autumn colors so it's a perfect time of year to do this.

You might also want to visit the Sonoma coast which has usually is quite beautiful and warm in the fall. I always like to recommend that people have lunch at River's End in Jenner at the mouth of the Russian River. Great food, fabulous view!

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM

While not a B&B, I recommend The Geyserville Inn. Prices will be in your range. You will be in quick driving distance to wineries.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:08 AM

BTW~Reserve sooner than you think you should. October is a tremendously busy month in wine country. BTW~I suggest you let folks know your husband's situation. Folks may be grateful enough to give you off season rates.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! After doing some research already, I'm seeing that we'll probably have to abandon the idea of $200/night, haha Oh well, we only live once, right? My mom sent me a place in Healdsburg called the Tickle Pink Inn, anyone have any comments? I am nervous about trying to book because his leave dates aren't 100% finalized. Hopefully this will happen soon so that I can start rolling on these trip plans!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM

I believe the Tickle Pink Inn is in Carmel, not Healdsburg. I will be staying there in August after spending a few days in the wine country at the Kenwood Inn.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:36 AM

Take this with a grain of salt because we haven't been yet, but my husband and I are going in April and staying in the town of Sonoma at the Inn at Sonoma for around $200 a night, and I also looked at several places that were less than $200. We're going to French Laundry so we didn't want to blow too much on our room!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Oh Jeangail, you are right...I didn't notice the address the first time I looked at the site, I was too caught up in how gorgeous it looked! Is Carmel far from Healdsburg? It is so hard to decide on a place when you've never been there before!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM

Yes, the Tickle Pink Inn is in the Carmel Highland's area and very nice. You may want to check out the El Bonita Motel in St. Helena, a very good location and the rates here are some of the most reasonable in Napa Valley.

In Sonoma, check out the Hotel El Dorado on the plaza or the BestWestern Sonoma Valley Inn, both places are in your price range and walking distance to the great restaurants on the Sonoma Square. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:09 AM

Napa & area are a great place to visit and at that time of year your options for accommodation are plentiful. Other places to see however may be limited by time, so best perhaps to look before you go. Our visit there has been documented on a personal web site at http://www.two-friends-travels.com/ and it may help to decide best sites to see prior to going.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:19 AM

I know for a fact that there are places to stay in Healdsburg that are lovely for $200. As I said in my original post, check out www.HealdsburgRentals.com But book early......and yes, do mention your husband's situation.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM

Just realized that the site I directed you to has changed their title/web address. Try SonomaCountyVacations.com