Search

Napa/Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa/Sonoma

Planning 4 days in early October to visit the wine country for the first time. Should we plan on spending 2 nights in Napa and 2 in Sonoma? Any suggestions on small inns?
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Hi Ramona:

I would suggest staying 2 nights in each valley. Especially if you are planning on wine tasting. I grew up in Napa Valley and I love it, but I know a lot of people like Sonoma better. Splitting locations will let you decide for yourself. Also, from Sonoma you can explore the Russian River area and the beautiful Sonoma Coast.

In Napa Valley, I recommend staying in Yountville or St. Helena. Yountville has several nice Inns. Bordeaux House and Burgundy House are two that quickly come to mind. The town of Napa has quite a few hotels, but not the character of the upper valley. Unless you can find a b & b in the old part of Napa. I'm sure there are quite a few.

Have a great trip!
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Kal

I'm reading the book "A Tale of Two Valleys" and hope it explains the Sonoma/Napa is "better" than Napa/Sonoma arguments.

Oct. will be nice.
We love Yountville. We usually stay at the Bordeaux House or Railway Inn. But there are a lot of others in Y'ville,too. Lotta good restaurants within walking distance to the hotels.

And since the town is a bit off the hi-way, little road noise.
Altho, the hot air balloons "fill 'er up" right near Vintage 1870 during the season and it sounds like a dragon's roar at times. (Spouting Horn?)

The valleys are so close you could stay in either valley and be only 15-30 mins away from most towns there.

Isn't it about "wine:30" now?
Cheers!
Kal
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:02 PM

Ramona - I prefer Sonoma, a little less crowded. Try the Grape Leaf Inn in Healdburg, central to lots of wine tasting and not too far from the coast. OR Trojan Horse Inn, Sonoma, closer to Napa and the Bay Area.
Cheers
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Try the Zinfandel Inn in Napa. Great breakfast, beautiful rooms and nice outdoor area. It only has 3 or 4 rooms so it books quickly but its worth a shot. http://www.zinfandelinn.com/
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Hi Ramona,
My husband an I planned 2 days in Napa, 2 in Sonoma. We ended up staying 3 in Sonoma and almost wished we had done only one in Napa! I'll never return, though we did have some great wine and food. Even at off-times, the traffic was bad, I imagine you'll be sitting in a lot of it in October. Healdsburg was lovely- I could have spent a week there. Have a great trip!
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:19 AM

Please check out www.staysonoma.com. It is a wonderful website. The proprietress is very experienced in the hotel and bed and breakfast industry and lives in Sonoma. She is also very knowledgeable about the various wineries and other recreational activities. She can hook you up with anything!
Old May 15th, 2003, 02:17 PM

Also I've noticed before the posts I read would be colored red unless somebody's posted a reply. Now it wouldn't happen.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:41 PM

I'd say book both places because they are quite different. Yountville is a good suggestion for a place in the Napa Valley. I also realy like Healdsburg which is the Sonoma side of things..mostly zinfandels and pinots..try the Camellia Inn in Healdsburg. The owner is a wine maker himself and offers tatings of his award winning wines.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:41 PM

BTW-you are going at the absolutely best time. If you have not booked already do so ASAP!