Carry On Luggage Only - How Many Do It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know for long trips it would be impossible, but for short ones, how many of you try to squeeze your stuff into a carry on? I'm going to visit my parents later this summer and since shorts/light shirts will be the attire, plus taking a few other personals and a book to pass the time at the airport, I think dealing with the hassle of checked luggage, is, well.....a hassle! My husband says why lug a semi-heavy carry on when I can just check my luggage. Whose side are you on?! ;-)
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:57 PM

If you can avoid Baggage Claim at all, I say all the better! However, bear in mind that it may be searched, so make sure it re-packs easily. If it's so heavy you won't be able to lift it over your head, forget it and check it. And also remember that EVERYONE ELSE will have carry-on luggage and other junk to load into those overhead bins, so be prepared to fight for a nearby bin or settle for one not directly near your seat.

When I traveled extensively on business (which I hardly do nowadays), I tried to do carry-on exclusively. Not always easy on longer trips, but it can be done.
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:05 PM

As long as I don't have to travel in the winter, I totally get by travelling carryon. I hate waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for my luggage to come out of the chute. And with some of the stories I've been hearing about extra paws in checked luggage, I'm sure going to try to keep it that way.

Secret to my success? lightweight, color-coordinated knits, and minimal health & beauty products.

The thing is, if your hustband is checking a bag, you're going to have to wait and wait and wait and wait...
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:08 PM

3 weeeks, one wife, two kids, 8 bags
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I guess I am on both sides.

I travel with carry-on only, but usually check it anyway. I like to walk onboard with nothing except jacket & reading material inhand. Seldom is my luggage NOT at the carousel when I get there. I think the hassles are more with carryon than checked baggage since 9/11, and would be happy if carryon was prohibited or charged a fee ... they slow down the loading & emptying of passengers.

I travel light so that I can utilize public transportation and not have to depend on others to get around.
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Warm climate 7 days or less - carry on.

Anything longer or colder and I end up checking baggage. And praying it makes it.

~ Sheryl
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Not bragging, but went to Europe for 2 weeks, all carry-on. Went to Chicago for few days in Apr. and after, straight to Vegas, all carry-on. Practice makes perfect
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:44 PM
rasnes5

Carry on the wine,toothbrush & clean underwear-check the rest. I'm just never in that much of hurry and don't mind the walk after a long flight. I'm not to impressed with the way some folks tackle the overheads, grab their suitcase and wack a few heads along the way. Not everyone can be rushing to a meeting or connection can they !?

Old May 9th, 2003, 04:03 PM

My daughter and I did 16 days touring Europe with three backpacks between us. We were the envy of all the other travelers who struggled with their bags everywhere we went!
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:27 PM

I never take more than I can carry, and I never check it outbound, having had too many occasions where my luggage and I enjoyed vacations or business trips in different cities. Sometimes, I'll pack a collapsible bag and on the way home I'll check that, so I have room in my carryon for souvenirs.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:18 PM

I am so tired of people wrestling up and down the aisles with 'carry-on' luggage. Or having to help little old ladies jam it into my overhead space. Check the luggage, for pete's sake. With everyone carrying-on baggage claim has become a breeze. By the way, all of you who are so proud of doing 3 weeks in Europe with just a carry-on or back-pack, we know. We can smell you. Thanks, but I'd rather not wear the same thing every day on vacation. Pack some clothes, already. Sheesh.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:25 PM

If at all possible, I do not check my luggage. Two of us can travel very nicely with one carry on (even for a 10 day stay) - no rbnwdln we don't smell, we are just able to pack smart and not take everything we own with us. I do agree with the fact that many people are getting on to planes with bags that are WAY to big - basically if you can't lift the bag or if the bag is larger than you - it's not carry on.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Since you're visiting your parents, why not take whatever you have to have along with you in a carry-on and UPS the rest, then UPS it home?
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:16 PM

I went to Europe last year for a month with only a carry-on. Took a "packing light" class at Rick Steve's and was so happy I did. Figured it wasn't as if were were going to a 3rd world country and couldn't find anything we needed there. We went in March-April and I did end up buying a leather jacket in Spain, but had intended to. Like others, I avoid checking in my luggage whenever possible (especially after having it get lost on a few occassions).

However, my husband feels the opposite and ends up taking twice the stuff I do and having to check at least one bag in (not to mention struggle with all this luggage in airports, on trains, etc.) I always have a good book to read while he waits around for the checked-in bags.

So I'd say, pack light, but you (like me) may just have to watch your husband wait around and lug extra things around until you too can make him a believer in packing light. Oh, well, if that's worst complaint, we shouldn't complain, right?

Have a good trip whatever you decide.
Old May 10th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Have done it both ways--and sometimes for long overseas trips. However be prepared for extensive security searches perhaps twice--once at main security and once before boarding. Also do not pack anything pointy.
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:35 AM

I prefer to carry on only my purse and reading material. I am so tired of getting clipped in the head, etc., by people traveling with huge carry ons. With all the folks who are carrying on these days, we all have to wait in the aisle of the plane while they maneuver it all, and at security points. Have never lost a bag, and the wait for checked luggage these days seems to be minimal. Plus, you can't put certain things in carry ons, which is sometimes a pain.
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Artlover,
what is Rick Steves?
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Just an observation about carryons...I've noticed lately that security at O'Hare is getting much less accommodating. I always carry a small suitcase, small purse and briefcase on my business trips. Now, security won't allow me through the checkpoint until I stuff the purse inside my briefcase or suitcase, as only 2 carryon items are allowed. The day I have to check my small suitcase or briefcase in baggage, is the day I start driving for business rather than flying!
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:03 AM

What I've found to be perfect is a sturdy duffle type bag that's big enough for a week's worth of stuff (and after much traveling, I have definitely learned what I don't need, I think that's more important than anything) AND fits under the seat in front of me on the plane. What are people BRINGING in those huge black "carry on" monsters?

Every time I've ever gone on a trip with a man, he has haphazardly packed the night before, flinging some stuff in a tiny bag, and has never had any problems! That also woke me up to how much stuff I was bringing.

Men can teach us so, so much.

love
kristin
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:17 AM

I can do any sort of trip (summer/winter, Business/leisure) of up to 4 or 5 weeks with a 21 inch rollaboard and medium sized handbag.

For trip of a week or less I shrink that to an 18 inche rollaboard and a smaller handbag.

I don't mind checking them if I must (on BA and VS you have to check anything over 15 lbs no matter how small) but I refuse to schlepp large bags.

On most airlines I take the rollie on board - but I don't over stuff it so I can easily lift it into the overhead. On some jumbo jets I cannot reach the overhead so end up asking someone else to hoist it for me. But since it is never very heavy that is seldom a problem.

i don't go w/ the Rick Steves system - it looks like he always wears the same things. But it does work for many people. I use a modified "bundle" system and things don't wrinkle much or at all.

If things coordinate you can easily get 15 to 20+ distinct outfits plus toiletries, shoes, etc. into a 21 inch suitcase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -