Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help with my one-day VNP itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Big Island in a month and I'm trying to nail down all the details of our day (yep, just one) in Volcanoes National Park. Here's what we want to do...I'd really appreciate any input!

Basically, we'd like to take a hike (so far Kilauea Iki looks like the most interesting), see Devastation Trail, visit the Thurston Lava Tube, Crater Rim Drive, and do the night hike to the lava flow (that's past the end of Chain of Craters Road, right?) and eat at Thai Thai (preferably).

Questions are:
-- What order would you suggest we do everything?
-- How long does the loop of Crater Rim Drive take?
-- How long dies it take to drive to the end of the road to start the night hike, and how long is the hike itself?
-- Should we eat dinner in the afternoon, or is the night hike short enough that we'll be able to leave and get to Thai Thai before closing?

I know it would be ideal to go for more than one day, but we are only on BI for two full days before flying over to Oahu. But we are both athletic and do a lot of hiking...and I commute 90 minutes each way to work every day, so the drive won't seem that long to me, even after a long day.

Any help is appreciated!! Mahalo!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

shamelessly topping myself...
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:09 PM

We did exactly the same itinerary (except for eating at Thai Thai) in one day last August with two teens (13 and 14). It was busy but doable. I'd do the hike first thing; then devastation trail (short walk really); then the lava tube; then the lava flow at dusk.
You will have basically driven the entire rim drive in the process. Get there early and don't worry about food for that day. You may have a 1-2 mile (easy walk) to the lava viewing area, but you'll have to make it back in the dark (bring headlights or a flashlight - you'll want them in the lava tube also) which will probably make it impossible to get to your dinner on time.

I'd give up Devastation Trail if I was going to cut anything out, but then you still are constrained by the need to wait for dark for the lava viewing. So either cut out Devastation and settle for a mediocre lunch/dinner in the park, or pack lots of snacks (stop by your hotel's deli) and a cooler and make it your active day.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:02 PM

We arrived in Volcano around 4pm , checked in to our cottage and explored Volcano Village of possibilities for food after the night lava hike. Most everything closes around 9pm. It takes about 30 min to drive to the end of the road, we arrived about 6 to get what we thought would be good parking, but we had about a 5 min walk to the Ranger Station and then another 10 min to the ocean viewing. Stayed until after sonset which in mid June was 7:30 by time we arrived back in Volcano we ordered Thai Thai for last order in. Quite tasty.Next morning had breakfast at Volcano Inn and did the Crater Rim drive ,Stopped at the Museum and Thurston Lava Tube and were out of there by noon back thru Hilo to Kona for our 6:30 pm flight.
Unless you are going to do a lot of hiking ,you should be able to do all in one LONG day.

Volcano Inn on 2nd Street is great for accomadations and reasonable.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks travelmom and galle! We'll go with the Kilauea Iki --> Devastation Trail --> Thurston Lava Tube order. Depending on what time we're done with those, I guess we'll decide whether we have time to drive to Thai Thai and get food and come back for the sunset hike, or whether to cross our fingers and hope the restuarant's still open after the night hike (and pack snacks just in case!). Do either of you know how long the drive is to Thai Thai from the park entrance? I'm guessing it's only a few minutes but just want to be sure.

Thanks again!! Can't wait