Lava Flow question on the Big Island

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lava Flow question on the Big Island

We plan on hiking to the lava flow at the beginning of August. We would like to have time to hike to the flow area (if it is flowing, that is) while it is still light out and then be there when it's dark. What time would you suggest heading out there?

Also, the next day we plan on visiting the vents and Thurston Lava tube. How much time would you suggest for seeing many of the volcano highlights other than the flow?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Kilauea has flowed steadiily for years. So you will get to see lava flow if you go. Right now it is not flowing into the ocean. Last month it was flowing into the ocean constantly.

The hike to the lava flow is 4-5 miles roundtrip. About 1 - 1 1/2 hours each way

The Crater Rim Drive with stops at Kilauea Visitor's Center, Jaggar Museum, Thurston Lava Tube and several other stops for vents, other scenic areas should take around 5 hours.

This is Hawaii Volcanoes National Park website:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/home.htm

When you are in the Hilo area, stop at Banyon Drive, Lili'uokalani Gardens, Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls. Do the 1/2 mile loop trail at Akaka State Park. You will also see Kahuna Falls which is almost as big as Akaka Falls.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:32 AM

If the lava is flowing in August within a comfortable hiking distance for you then I would head over in the late afternoon, as it was the most memorable experience for us.

If the lava isn't flowing on your visit you can accomplish the list below in a few hours; the visitor center when you first enter the park has a film showing fully erupting volcanoes as relates to Hawaii. After the visitor center you can drive right up alongside steam vents for a few minutes, before checking out the Jaggar musuem, and you'll probably encounter sulfur vents during the short hike to marvel at Kilauea caldera further on Crater Rim Drive. Thurston Lava Tube is also a noteworthy walk through and a neat short tropical forest hike at the other end.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:21 AM

I will be looking for the lava flows as well on my trip this week! Question - does the hike start at the end of Chain of Crater road where the road stops? If yes, is there a real trial and you're just wandering towards the flows or is there a set trail? I'm wondering how the 4-5 mile roundtrip is measured and from where. Thanks!!!!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Yes, the hike starts at the end of the Chain of Craters Road, where the ranger station is. There's a sign at the ranger station telling you the distance from that point to nearest surface lava flows or steam plumes (2.5 mi each way in May '05), and I believe the estimated time for a round-trip hike (approx. 4 hours).

There's no clearly defined trail. There are reflectors spaced about 10 yards apart over lava, but they end real soon into the lava hike. Then there's the light beacons as well. Closer to shore where one would hike to the steam plumes, there's road sawhorses with rope in between for safety reasons to prevent hikers from venturing too close to lava benches. But this also serves as the quickest and most clearly defined manner to get to lava flows and steam plumes. I rec following that route. Of course, this could all change when you get there, so check with the Visitors Center after you enter the Park.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM

thanks bluefan! that's very helpful!