Need help w/Nov. NYC itinerary, restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprising my husband with a trip to NYC the weekend of Nov 17-20...three college roomates + spouses are meeting us there. We are staying @ the Warwick. Please help with ideas for a NYC restaurant to celebrate 40th (+/- $75 per person french/italian/american/continental, something special to NYC). This is our first time to NYC. We'd like to see the Chrysler building, Empire State, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Intrepid museum, Greenwich Village, Little Italy, and Brooklyn Bridge. We'd also like to see a musical (Piazza). Is all this this doable w/only a Fri/Sat/Sun (we leave Newark at 5pm)? Any itinerary ideas? Also, what sightseeing activities should we leave to Sunday, when many places are closed? I know these are a lot of questions...thanks for your help!!!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:55 AM
GoTravel

Dress really warm and hop on the Greyline Double Decker Tour bus. You'll get to see all of what you listed and you can go back and pick up anything you want to see more of.

Great way for everyone to see the city. I've done it a bunch and enjoy the ride every time.

Just dress warm; hat, gloves, scarf, warm coat, and maybe a thermos

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 05:14 AM

You might try the Cite wine dinner. Cite is a great steakhouse around the corner from the Warwick. If you sit after 8 pm, they have a prix fixe dinner, 3 courses, with all-you-can drink wine (3 of them) plus champagne. Not sure what the current price is, but I think it would be within your budget. The food is great and the wine is good too.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:56 AM

Agree with the idea of a tour. There are now 3 different cos. offering hop on/off tours. There's also the NY Party Shuttle which is in a smaller enclosed bus and lasts for 6hrs. ---or maybe hire a private van/limo for the group! I can't imagine it would cost much more than the 8 of you going on one of the ready made tours. That sounds like fun in a stretch limo. Perhaps the hotel concierge can help with this.

The 2 things on your list that will eat up the most time are the Statue of Liberty (lining up for security etc. and the trip itself) and the Empire State building. If you're determined to do both (not a good idea for a weekend imo) certainly buy tickets ahead online. An alternative to going to the STatue is taking a free ride on the Staten Island ferry where you pass it from a distance. An alternative to the ESB for a bird's eye view is the newly opened (tomorrow) Top of the Rock which has timed tickets you can buy online.

All of the things you mention are open on Sunday so it doesn't really matter which day you do what (although you can't get into the Chyrsler building beyond the lobby on any day and maybe not at all on Sunday). Grand Central Station is across from the Chrysler building and you must see it. I would just group things by area.

The idea of Cite's wine dinner is good b/c a nice place will get pricey when you add drinks.

Some other options...the Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center has views of the ice rink there. There used to be a special deal if you register on their website that gave you a discount on someone's birthday. Check it on restaurantassociates.com

The River Cafe in Brooklyn has spectacular views of the NY skyline and very good food. It will be above your budget but maybe worth it? You can combine a visit with a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

rivercafe.com

Maybe consider a dinner cruise? Bateaux NY has gotten decent reviews. Here's the link

http://www.spiritcitycruises.com/bat...occasions.html

And a way to combine the above 2 ideas, the Waters Edge in Queens has a private ferry that will pick you up at 34 st. and the east river and take you to the restaurant across the river to the rest. It's less expensive than the River Cafe.

watersedgenyc.com

If the group is more informal, there are lots of other options. Trattoria Dell 'Arte is an Italian with good atmosphere and several private rooms.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:10 AM

Bring very comfortable walking shoes, because that is really the best way to see the city, and you also might use the city bus/subway system to get around. Traffic is going to be pretty bad so taking the subway will be the fastest way to get anywhere.

You might start your tour downtown, see Wall St, Ground Zero, Chinatown, Little Italy and you can certainly do that in a few hours. Have lunch in Chinatown (Dim Sum at HSF on the Bowery, or Mandarin Court on Mott St) and then walk up through Little Italy and have pastery and coffee.

I would suggest taking the Staten Island Ferry right at dusk, and the return trip to Manhattan with all the lights coming up is spectacular.

The ESB, is probably not doable in such a short time, since you spend so much time in line waiting.

For a nice dinner, I would suggest Docks on 3rd Ave and 40th St, excellent seafood.

IF you want to see a show, and have not bought tickets in advance, do what New Yorkers do, TKTS at the South St Seaport. It opens at 10am, and the line is not usually very long and you can get half price tickets to that evenings performances, and there should be alot to choose from.

I think Piazza is playing at Lincoln Center which is at 66th and Broadway. You might enjoy dinner at Pomodoro's a few block away on Columbus Ave and 70th St on the east side of the avenue.

Hope this helps and have a great time while you are here.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:17 AM

Agree about Water Cafe in Long Island City. That place does not get much mention on this site although it has a great view and very good food. And the private ferry boat ride, too. We made a private party here a number of years ago and were very pleased with the place.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 09:56 AM

To avoid confusion or create more, it's the Waters Edge in LIC, the River Cafe in Brooklyn (and there's the Water Club in Manhattan).
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much for your input--great info!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Just returned from NYC celebrating our 40th! Highly recommend Savannah Steakhouse on E.48th 5th and Madison. Food and service absolutely top notch. Saw Light in The Piazza, Spamalot, Avenue Q, Hairspray and Radio City Christmas Show. Radio City show should be seen!..its spectacular. Spamalot is hilarious but tough to get tickets. Piazza is excellent choice for musical and Hairspray is a lot of fun. Suggest playbill.com for discount tickets. You also should plan to see Ground Zero ...a short subway ride and memorable experience.