Need help in L.A.

Sep 17th, 2000, 08:58 AM
lori

Need help in L.A.

I am taking my mother to Los Angeles and we have never been there. Are there places other than the usual tourist places we will be seeing that we should take a special trip to? Are the bus systems good there as well? We will be staying in Anaheim and would like to take the transit bus into L.A. and Burbank some days.
Are there places we should stay away from as well being two females.
Thanks

Sep 17th, 2000, 11:14 AM
michele

Lori,
Everything in L.A. and indeed Southern Califirnia is spread out. You need to rent a car. The bus system is not very good and will eat up your time.

What do you like to do ? What are the "usual tourist places", the Getty , the
the Norton Simon, Universal? If you like gardens, there are at least two that are worth seeking out: the Huntington Hartford Museum gardens in San Marino ( near Pasadena), and the Robinson gardens in Beverly Hills ( appointment needed). If you could be more specific, I know you will get a lot of help.

Sep 17th, 2000, 11:51 AM
lori

Thanks Lori.
I guess I should've been more specific.
I meant things like shopping and sightseeing. I heard you can take a bus to Santa Monica from Anaheim fairly easily. And in LA we plan to see Rodeo drive, the hollywood sign and crap like that. Is it worth it to see the Beverly Hills Hotel? Mann's chinese theatre.
Things like that. I hope to see a taping of Jay Leno as well.

Sep 17th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Cali

The bus system in L.A. Area leaves lots to be desired - it's a huge area. Also, they are on strike right now. I really think you need a car unless your hotel has transportation to some of the places you want to see. There are some local buses in L.A. and Orange County but I wouldn't count on them taking you to the places you want to go. Have a good trip.

Sep 18th, 2000, 06:25 PM
LEANNA

As of 7:30 PM on 9/18 the bus system and much of the rancid transit is on strike. So forget that. Consider Gray Line tours from your hotel if you do not want to drive/rent a car. Also you might want to consider 2 hotels..one in the Anaheim/Orange County area and then move to the Universal Studio/North Hollywood/Hollywood area! LA IS HUGE!!! It takes me 2 hours w/ no traffic to get from my house by Magic Mountain in LA to my cousins in Mission Viejo...still LA although not officially. To take buses will take you all day and we're also having a horrid heat wave right now! Best advice: rent a car! But hey I love my town..and would live no where else. Enjoy your stay here..but just realize we are sprawled from San Diego to 60 miles south of Bakersfield. Check the map...its a BIG AREA!!!

Sep 19th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Alisa

Unless you are going to Disneyland DO NOT STAY in Anaheim. There really is not much to do there. Taking a bus into West LA or Burbank will take you at least 2 hours with stops if not more. And, Burbank and West LA/Beverly Hills are 1 hour apart if you are in traffic.

The MTA Bus System is on strike right now, as mentioned before.

There is so much for you to do--I would consider staying in West LA or Santa Monica given the things you have said you want to see.

Sep 19th, 2000, 02:55 PM
Terry

It sounds like you will need a car.

For shopping...in Costa Mesa there is the Orange Coast Plaza, which is a high end retail mall.

Also at the Orange County Fair Grounds on Saturday and Sunday they have the Orange County Swapmeet, with crafts, clothing, jewelry, and home accessories.

Sep 19th, 2000, 07:08 PM
LEANNA

True Disneyland is in Anaheim, but in Buena Park...next door community, is Medievil Times, Hollywood Wax Museum, Knotts Berry Farm, and thru out all of Orange county are fabulous malls and shopping areas and also super museums. Opening early in Oct at the Bowers Museum is an exhibit of Egyptian artifacs from the British Museum. Orange County is a world unto itself..and to stay in a central part there gives you good advantage for the areas between Buena Park down to San Diego. But a car is still the best way to go. THEN move up to the Santa Monica or Hollywood region. Beverly Hills is a bit of a distance from Hollywood itself. When I have pals come from anywhere they do the LA visit w/ 2 hotels...one in Orange Co. and one in the Hollywood area. It works.

Sep 20th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Jane

Just a note about the Getty [which sounds worth while for location alone]. If you want to drive there [which is very easy from santa Monica] it transpires you need to book a car parking space in advance. Our guide book did not mention this hence we never got to see it !

Sep 21st, 2000, 07:21 AM
russ i

Regarding parking at the Getty. If anyone in the car has a current, valid college I.D., you don't need a parking reservation. There is also a remote lot, with a shuttle bus; and finally, you can park in Westwood and take a bus 2 miles down Sepulveda, or call a cab for a quick ride.

Sep 27th, 2000, 10:41 AM
Terry

About the Getty...you know longer need parking reservations on the weekends or thursday and friday's after 4:00p.m. Just went into affect a couple of weeks ago. But check the Getty site, don't know when it may go back to the reservation system or why you no longer need them on these days.