Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need Help! Hotels NYC and Washington, D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a special treat for my 23 year old grandaughter (recent university graduate) I am planning to take her to either NYC or Washington, D.C. Need help in reserving a hotel in either one of these famous cities. I would like to treat her to a luxury hotel (not the Waldorf!) but would like her to have a little taste of what the good life can be. She is a wonderful young lady about to embark on her new career.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Hi Senior,

What a nice Grandfather you are! I can only speak for NY. If you're willing to be a bit "daring" you could try bidding on Priceline for a hotel. What I'm not sure of is whether you can specify 2 separate beds (if you're sharing a room) through Priceline. Here's how it works though. In theory, you don't know what hotel you're going to get-you bid on an area of the city and a star level (1-5). HOWEVER, there are certain areas/star levels where there's only one hotel so you WOULD know what you're getting.

For example in midtown east if you bid 5 stars, the only hotel that's 5* there is the Waldorf Towers. Some people have gotten that for great prices. Another example is 4* Upper East Side-the only hotel that fits that option is the Stanhope which is an elegant hotel run by Park Hyatt directly across from the Metropolitan Museum. You have nothing to lose by bidding. If your bid is not accepted you can just go to a more traditional booking site and select something.

There are 2 websites that give help for Priceline bidding
biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com
You have to register for free to access the info. You must read the FAQ. That will have info about atipulating sleeping arrangements. I know they advise not using Priceline for more than 2 in a room. They list the hotels in each area by star level and there's also info on rates other people have gotten.

If you choose not to do this, a website that people like for good rates in NY is Quikbook.com Just did a fast search on Quikbook for 4 nights in August. The Helmsley Park Lane, The Regency and the Omni Bershire Place were all listed for $149-199/night. These are all nice but there are tons of good hotels in NY.

Hope this helps to get you started.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:15 AM

In luxury in DC, I would suggest either the Willard Intercontinental or The Hay-Adams. Both of these are close to the White House. Alternately, If you prefer a more "happening" area for restaurants and shopping, you might consider the Hilton Embassy Row in the Dupont Circle neighborhood.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. I am the "grandmother" of the lovely granddaughter.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:08 AM

I too can speak only for NYC. We've had great luck with a Web site called Express Reservations, http://express-res.com/, which handles hotels only for NY and two other cities (not Washington). Although we haven't stayed in luxury hotels, we've stayed in the Crowne Plaza, which is quite nice, right on Broadway. If you enjoy theater, I recommend staying right near Times Square. With an upper-floor room, you needn't worry about noise.

With express-res.com, I've usually done online searching and then called them to make the reservation. That way, you speak with a live person and can ask specific questions about the hotel. After I call them, they call the hotel themselves to doublecheck availability. I have felt that I've gotten the best of both worlds: a good rate and the assurance of personalized service.

Interestingly, we were able to get a better deal through express-res than through Crowne Plaza's own Web site, which advertised Web deals. I've checked out a lot of hotel reservation sites, and this is my favorite for NY. With a lot of them, you just end up at the same standard page for checking reservations--they just seem to be different portals for the same service. This one's different.

They should hire me to do ads.

Perhaps others will have different recommendations, however.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Regarding NYC, it depends on the area you want to be in. The Ritz at Battery Park is new and absolutely wonderful with views of the Statue of Liberty...rates are as low as $199. However, you are in lower Manhatten and will need to take the subway or a cab to midtown. The Michelangelo in midtown is a lovely small hotel at a great location. While very nicely done, the Ritz (especially the baths) are abit more in the "luxery" arena. Unfortunately in NYC there are many hotels that have outstanding lobbys, but the rooms are of Motel 6 quality.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 12:28 PM

In NY, we love the Doubletree Suites at 47th St and 7th Ave, the heart of the theater district. We've gotten a decent rate using our AARP membership, and a suite is a treat.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Again, thanks to all for your responses.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Sooo sorry, lovely Grandmother. Don't know why I assumed...quot;> MY Grandmother was my favorite traveling companion (before I met my husband).

I would gently disagree with posters suggesting staying directly in the Times Square area in NY. It's a bit busy & doesn't IMO feel very luxurious although there are some hotels like the Muse and the Michelangelo that are quite nice. I would certainly check the website penel523 suggests.

I can second bardo's reco of the Hay-Adams in Washington. It is LOVELY.