Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help from Tampa Restaurant Experts!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have a layover at Tampa airport on a Saturday from noon to 6pm. I'd like to take a taxi to a restaurant somewhere in the general vicinity of the airport and have a nice lunch. I'm not set on type of food but seafood or Italian would be good. I'll be dressed casually and budget is $30 (plus maybe $20 total for the taxi rides.) Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:03 PM

I recommend Oystercatchers at the Grand Hyatt. Great food and scenery! I think your budget will work. Am I right, OliveOyl?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:28 PM
cd

If I'm wrong on this, maybe Olive Oyl or Joan or one of the other locals will correct me. If it were me, I would want to take a cab to Clearwater Beach and I think it's around 10 miles. I would go to Frenchy's Rockaway Grill. It is located directly on Clearwater Beach and noted for good seafood but mostly you will be on a sandy beach with cool drink in hand watching the surf! What's better than that??? You could even call them at 727-446-4844 and ask how long of a drive it is from the airport. You might even want to rent a car for that period of time. The airport is car rental friendly. We rented a car there and it seemed like we were on Clearwater Beach pretty quite.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 01:01 PM
OliveOyl

yes it would be in his price range gatorlover...but i wasn't going to be the one to bring it up. i'm sure no one would object to your sitting by the pool after if you wished. the restaurant overlooks the bay--pretty location and good food. to be fair, roy's is close as well and also good. casual is fine at both.

not too far afield, westshore plaza has maggiano's for italian, also a palm restaurant if you are interested.

6 hr layover is one heck of a layover john. the beach is beautiful but it's closer to about 17-18 miles, and would most likely break the cab budget. it takes me about 40 minutes to get out there on a good day.

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 01:39 PM

Clearwater is out of the question. Take a cab to the International Mall, only about a 10 minute ride from the airport, and wander around the great shops. When you want to eat, there is a group of good restaurants located upstairs in the center of the mall. There is a restaurant for every taste there. I personally like the Bamboo Club, with its Pacific Rim and Asian cuisine. Also good is Roy's, more expensive and not technically in the International Mall, but across the street from it. And if you want some good down-home country cooking, there is Lee Roy Selmon's also across the street.

Oystercatchers is a great place, too; but I think it might stretch your budget a bit, especially if you have some wine with the meal. If you want to venture farther from the airport, take a 20 minute taxi ride to Howard Avenue and get the driver to drive you along the street where you will see some 25 or so restaurants all on that one street. My favorite for lunch on Howard Avenue would be Side Bern's, but there are lots of places to choose from.

Good luck and bon appetit.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:05 PM

I was going to suggest Roys, but they are not open for lunch (owned by Outback, and they don't serve lunch at any of their restaurants). I'd stick with Oystercatcher's...spend what you'll save on cabfare on wine and the excellent seafood. Order something local, the stone crabs (try not to cut yourself hee hee) or snapper or grouper or oysters on the half shell. I imagine Hyatt may have a free shuttle from the airport, since it's so close? Also, besides the pool, they have a neat nature boardwalk you could explore. And sneak up to the top floor of the hotel and see if you can go outside at Armani's (their upscale Italian place only open for supper)...beautiful view from there.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your suggestions. The Oystercatcher sounds great but unfortunately Saturdays' they are closed at lunchtime. Looks like Clearwater may be too far. The International Mall sounds like a good option if the weather isn't great. If anyone else has more suggestions I certainly welcome them. Thanks again to all who responded.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:55 PM

You might consider Landry's as well. It is on Highway 60 to the east of the airport. It has seafood. I cannot confirm if it is open for lunch though. It overlooks the water as well. I have been there for dinner and had nice service and the food was good.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:04 PM

Have you left yet? In case you haven't, here's a thought:

You could probably pay less for the food but more for the taxi if you went to the brand new Rattlefish restaurant in Tampa south of Gandy Blvd. It's a terrific new place that just opened waaaaay south on the Tampa peninsula, about 15 minutes from the airport. Make your driver find it (sorry but it's not even in my phone book, you'll need to give them a call for directions). You could easily wile away some time there just enjoying the water and the food and the view. Cold, hot, rain, or shine, it's a winner.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:51 PM

The best steakhouse ever is in Tampa-The Bern Steakhouse.Head to the cuban end of town where they handroll cigars.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:01 AM
OliveOyl

Gads...didn't realize you were coming in on a Saturday...sorry about that!

I'd head to International Plaza and while away some hours. I don't even appreciate or care in the least for home theater or audio systems, but could while away a good hour in the Bang and Olufsen store alone.

I've got to try Rattlefish. One of my gf's ex-husbands (an ex Outback exec) owns it. If he does well, she will be a happy camper. It's down Westshore, south of Gandy, make a right on Tyson and head to the water.

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Just ate at Bern's Steak House over my Christmas vacation in Tampa/St Pete. It truly is a fabulous restaurant. While there, we discovered Side Bern's. Didn't try it, but I'm sure it would be a great choice for your long layover. It's on Howard and just down the street from Bern's.

Carol
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:37 PM

I was just in Tampa last week and checked out all the recommendations from this site for restaurants. Oystercatchers was the BEST!! I was there for dinner with my husband and our seafood entrees were $25 each. The food was amazing, the service impeccable and fast, VERY close to the airport. We sat by the window and watched the planes take off & land. My highest recommendation!!! A great representation of Tampa close to the airport.