Need Help for Seattle Excursion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a group of High School boys that will have an 8 hour layover in Seattle next Sunday (12/19). Any suggestions on an excursion that they may be able to take fairly easily? Is there some type of public transportation that they could take into Seattle? They are enroute from Denver to Anchorage for a basketball tournatment and will have several adults with them as chaperones. Thanks for any suggestions that you might have!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM

How about taking the new light rail from Seatac Airport to West Lake Center and walking to Pike Place Market a few blocks away? That would be a lot of fun and very "Seattle."

http://www.soundtransit.org/x11204.xml

It might be raining, so you might advise them to have raingear handy.

I have to add, I have not done this trip on the light rail, but I believe it easily done.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 11:18 PM

Thinking more on this, if the plane is on-time, you will have about 4 1/2 hours for exploring Seattle, after taking the light rail to and from the airport. The group might want to split up by interest.

The Seattle Art Museum is within walking distance of Pike Place and has an excellent Picasso exhibit right now. I believe you would need to schedule tix in advance, as it is drawing big crowds, esp on the weekends, so this could be a problem. Nevertheless, for any art lovers, it would be worth it.

The Sheraton has a wonderful gingerbread village that will amaze:

http://cakefixation.blogspot.com/201...-sheraton.html

You can walk to it from Westlake or Pike Place.

There is an aquarium within walking distance of Pike Place Market. It isn't the best in the world, but is pretty good and is fun.

I would also imagine you could get bus from Westlake Center to the Seattle Center, which features the Space Needle and Pacific Science Center. I believe there is an ice rink at the Seattle Center. You'd have to be careful of time.

There are lots of good choices. Hope everyone has a wonderful rip. How cool that they get to go to Anchorage! Lucky boys and chaperones! What a great adventure!
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just remember an "8 hour layover" is not really 8 hours free and clear. I'd allow about 30 mins. minimum for the plane to land, and for them to exit the airport. Then they can catch the lightrail up into downtown, get off at the Westlake stop. Allow another 30 mins for this. Then walk around: Pike Place Market, the Waterfront, and Pioneer Square historic district. Likely they'll need to check in for their next flight 90 mins. in advance, plus allowing at least 30 mins. for the lightrail back to the airport.

So they should have a generous 4 hours or so to explore downtown Seattle.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas! I'll pass them along to the coach!!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 07:38 PM

If any of them are sci fi buffs, they may want to take the monorail from westlake to seattle center and go to the battlestar galactica exhibit at emp.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Start by taking the light rail to the first stop (International Blvd.) and then the no. 124 bus to the Museum of Flight. Fabulous for that age group. http://www.museumofflight.org/

Then continue on the 124 to the downtown area, where you can go to the Pike Market, or catch the monorail to Seattle Center, where there's lots to do. For example: if they have sufficient cash, the Harry Potter exhibit at the Pacific Science Center (located in the Seattle Center complex) is reportedly fab. http://www.pacsci.org/harrypotter/

Or the above-mentioned Battlestar Galactica show at the EMP/Sci-Fi museum. The EMP itself is a great resource - be your own DJ or rock musician, plenty of cool exhibits. http://www.empsfm.org/

For public transportation, use the Metro Trip Planner, http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/ In the downtown area the buses are free. Then ride the light rail back to the airport, $2.50, 40 min.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM

These people have EIGHT HOURS on the ground, to get a sense of Seattle, some for the first time ever.

Why not stick to central locations to give them hope.

Geez, they'd be lucky to be able to get organized, get to town (on the light rail) and arrange a group visit to the Space Needle in that amount of time.

IF the plane were to land on time at, say, noon, they might be able to make it to the light rail station and onto the rail by 12:30. Downtown @ 1:15 or so (erring on the side of caution)... then perhaps find the Monorail and travel to the foot of the Space Needle on that...

Then up in the Space Needle @ $16 to $20 per, just for a visit!

Those wishing to opt-out of the Needle for that price, could instead go to the Experience Music Project immediately below.

IF, SAAAAAAAAAAY, the plane leaves at 8:00pm SHARP...

They should be back at the airport by 6:30 at the very latest... just to be SAFE.

Once everyone was collected after the Space Needle/EMP trip... back on the Monorail... and back to mid-town... and then walk to Pike Place Market to spend whatever precious time remains.

They should be back to the link rail spots in the downtown bus tunnel by 5:45 at latest, and probably 5:30 for some caution.

There just isn't TIME for very much, and they'd have to be DIRECT at what they had planned.

(of course the OP won't look here LATE at night for a last look...)

Laugh
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM

On the CHANCE the OP does look here...

The LINK RAIL goes from Seattle's airport into downtown.

It runs SO OFTEN that you don't need a schedule (honestly).

The airport IS the end of the line on one end, so that concern won't hurt you either.

DOWNTOWN comprises the last few stops on the other end, so that is another source for comfort.

Upon arrival in downtown Seattle, you would be UNDERNEATH 3rd avenue.

The "Monorail" is an elevated railway that has only two stops. (Westlake Center shopping mall in the middle of downtown, and at The Space Needle - "Seattle Center")

You CAN'T get lost on either mode of transportation, because you are going from one END to the other END.

(be at the "Southbound" stops/side when departing Seattle TO THE AIRPORT)

(when downtown, purchase a rail ticket beFORE you go down to the subway-level loading area)

I am well aware that you will be totally pressed for time, but I am very confident you could at least see these few Seattle highlights and gain something from it, based on what I've laid out here.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 03:40 PM

Saltysmom, I was wondering what you chose to do while in Seattle and how it went? How was Alaska? I'd love to hear.