Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need fabulous resort/hotel/inn in or near Lancaster, PA while visiting inlaws home

Search

Need fabulous resort/hotel/inn in or near Lancaster, PA while visiting inlaws home

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 08:24 PM
felecia

Where can we stay over Christmas? We were planning on a "vacation" but are now planning to spend the holidays with family. To compromise, we would like to stay in a really nice place....four or five star

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Nancy

Felicia: There really are no 4 or 5 star hotels in or near Lancaster. The hotels in that area tend to be Holiday Inns, Comfort Inns. Ramadas, etc. There is a Hilton, Sheraton and Radisson in King of Prussia, (approx. an hour from Lancaster) not 4 or 5 star, but better than the previous hotels. The closest area to Lancaster for a 4 or 5 star hotel would be Philadelphia, but that's about 1.5 - 2 hours from Lancaster. Hope this helps!

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Nancy

I went to school in the area, and there are many bed & breakfasts in that part of Pennsylvania. You might do a search on worldwidebbguide.com. You can then ask for recommendations/reviews from people here. I believe Fodor may have a bed & breakfast guide as well.

If you are willing to travel, the Brandywine area of northern Delaware would be a good choice. The Winterthur museum is there (colonial antiques) as well as Longwood gardens. It is a very pretty area of the northeast. If you know the association of hotels called Small Luxury Hotels of the World, one of their hotels is located in the Brandywine area. The hotel is called the Inn at Montchanin Village. This would be a 5 star property. I have not stayed there but have stayed at several other hotels which are members, and they are fabulous properties. They do not seem to have a spa, but you check. I believe this would be about 1 hour drive from Lancaster.

The Harrisburg area would be another place to look. I did a search on Spafinder.com and came up with a spa called Felicita Golf Resort and Spa. Don't know anything about it, but you might want to check out Spafinders.com or find a website for the Felicita.

Hope this is helpful.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:18 AM
xyz

felecia:
Recently stayed at Best Western Eden Roc resort. Not 4-5 star but very nice.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Edye

Stay at the Hershey Hotel, about 25-40 mins away at worst. Owned by Hershey Corp, has a spa and beautiful xmas decor, and the chocolate factory tour is fun. Not sure if Hershey Park is open. This is the fanciest resort in the area. got to www.hershey.com and there will be links to the hotel.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:42 AM
felecia

Thanks, I have been checking out some properties...has anyone stayed in one of the farm properties that overlook beautiful scenery and have live animals to play with>
It might sound kind of goofy but our original plans were to go and see nature...this would be our alternative...I just don't want to smell like farm animals or anything.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Lorin

I would highly recommend the Hershey Hotel in Hershey, PA. Its a beautiful hotel with old world charm and the food is delicious, esp the desserts. Another choice is the Swiss Woods Bed & Breakfast in Lititz, PA. Have stayed there many times...check out their web site. Its like a swiss ski lodge, with a roaring fire place, but no TVS etc in the rooms. Good Luck, its a beautiful area esp at Xmas.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:12 PM
travellyn

I stayed on an Amish farm B&B in May, 2002. They raised horses - no other animals there but pet cats. A new foal was born the first night I was there, and I got to see it a few hours later. This was nothing close to fancy, but it was comfortable - a very nice experience overall. I stayed in an apartment attached to the side of the Amish house. The apartment had electricity (from a generator), indoor plumbing, etc.

The owners are Jacob and Sadie Zook. You can find information on their farm through the Lancaster County internet site. I think they call the farm Starlit Acres. Sadie has a phone at her food-prep business, so you can call to check on availability. (No phones in the home, of course.) I don't have their phone number anymore, but it would show up on a search.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Tammy

Another recommendation for the Hershey Hotel. VERY NICE, especially at Christmas.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:23 PM
x

In case you are searching the internet for the Hershey Hotel you should know that it's really called the Hotel Hershey which can be found at http://www.hersheypa.com/accommodati...tel_frame.html

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Miss Fahrenheit

There's one called the Amish Inn. It's all Amish people, and they play Amish Paradise when you walk in. It's really nice.