Need excursion suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are on a repositioning cruise sailing from Kobe, Japan and ending in Vancouver, B.C.

Two of our stops in Alaska are Homer and Kodiak Island and our cruise line, Holland America, doesn't have any excursions posted for thise ports.

We are at Kodiak Island on May 4th and Homer on May 5th. Some of the people who are on the cruise say that these dates are very early for Alaska and some attractions may not yet be opened.

I am most interested in dog sledding (a short trip-- one where I can have a picture taken and show it to my grandchildren) and a whale watch. Are we too early for everything else and too late for dog sledding? I hope not.

This forum has always been very helpful to me-- your suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM

You are too late and in the wrong areas for dog sledding. Same for whale watching.

Kodiak in the port "area" has nothing. Choose something else in Homer, but this is definately an area I always have a car. Will your ship have shuttles?? http://akms.com/htguide/
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM

How much time will you have in each of the ports? What hours will you be Kodiak? Homer?

Let me know and I may be able to come up with a few things.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Well, Kodiak is all about bears. If you can afford it, there are some great (but very expensive) bear-viewing trips, but it may still be early in the season for that.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

We are in Kodiak on Sunday, May 4th from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM and in Homer the next day from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Thank your for offering suggestions. Your assistance is very much appreciated.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Addtional response to the Kodiak and Homer inquiry. We don't know yet if the ship will have shuttles in these two ports, but other have suggested renting a car or joining with other cruisers and renting a van. The director of a museum in Kodiak has been in touch with someone on our trip and although it is pre season, they will open the museum that day.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM

There is some great information about excursions on the Homer Chamber of Commerce website http://www.homeralaska.org/6adventures/adventures.htm
We did a half day fishing trip out of Homer and caught HUGE halibut.
Kodiac has good 'things to do' info as well http://www.kodiak.org/thingstodo.htm

Here's a link to the Alaska Vacation Planner and Tourist Bureau sites in Alaska http://www.wickedgoodtraveltips.com/?p=166

Also a trip report about Vancouver if you should be interested http://www.wickedgoodtraveltips.com/?p=89

Enjoy Alaska!
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the very helpful information. It looks as though we will have plenty to do in both Kodiak and Homer. Hopefully this will be just our first Alaska trip and we will have an opportunity to visit other ports on other trips.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Something to keep in mind; both the Pratt Museum and Alaska Ocean & Islands Center are both closed on Mondays. But lots to do - you can hire a water taxi to take you across the bay or a tour of the bay. Rent a car - lots of beautiful scenery, good places to eat. Walk the spit. Have a great time.