Need east coast advice!

Search

Need east coast advice!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need east coast advice!

we are hoping to travel to the east coast this summer with 3 teens. I have many questions! If you had only 10 days, what are the "must sees" between new england states and DC? We know there is too much to do in that short of time, but we also don't want to be around masses of people 24-7. we'd like some warm beaches somewhere along the way and some relaxing times between siteseeing. what would be the top 10 list for a first and only coastal trip? Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 02:07 AM

This is a hard one, since it is a large area and really depends on your interests. My suggestion would be to fly between places. First go to Boston and then maybe fly to Nantucket, on to New York next. For beach time, a day or two at the Jersey Shore or Deleware then end in DC.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 02:25 AM

A sense of budget might be helpful. Flying to and from Nantucket, to say nothing of staying there, can get seriously pricey....
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 04:26 AM

You have quite a bit that you're trying to fit in in 10 days. The good news about East Coast travel is that taking Amtrak makes it fairly viable to go between Washington and Boston (and all points in between) in a reasonable amount of time.

If I were giving an itinerary to my wife's Hawaiian relatives in Ewa Beach, I'd suggest this:

Day 1 through 4 - Washington, DC. This should give you plenty of time to see most of the highlights.

Day 5 - Amtrak to Philadelphia. Rent a car and drive to the New Jersey shore. (Although, if you live in Hawaii, I have to ask why you'd want to spend time on beaches here?) For teens, I might think about a town like Wildwood or Seaside Heights where they have a large boardwalk and rides. Though, a town like Cape May would qualify as more relaxing. Spend nights 5, 6 and 7 at beach.

Day 8 (Option 1)- Train from Philadelphia to New York. Finding a place to store the bags might present a problem. But, you could easily hit many of the NYC highlights in a day. At a minimum, the Empire State Building, the Staten Island Ferry (with view of Statue of Liberty) and Times Square.

Day 8 (Option 2) - Train from Philadelphia to Boston. Spend a full day in Boston, maybe rent a car and take a day trip to the mountains in New Hampshire/Vermont.

Certainly there are many variations. The beaches in Virginia are nice and could be reached fairly easily from Washington by car. You could skip NYC and take the train straight to Boston and spend a few days on Cape Cod/Newport or one of several other beaches. Philadelphia also has much to see.

As Susie stated, really depends on your interest.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:25 AM

I honestly think you're trying to cover way too much territory. Reco that you stick to either Boston to NYC - with some NE and beaches in between or DC to NYC (ditto). Otherwise you're going to spend half your time checking in and out of hotels, orienting yourself, and on the road - or plane or train.
And depending on your plan - for 4 people a car is bound to be much cheaper than either flying or Amtrak - just pick it up when you leave the first sity and turn it in when you rach the second.

I personally would go for the DC to NYC version (IMHO teens are much more likely to be enthused by NYC than by Boston). But without having specific info on your/their interests its hard to tell.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:49 AM
GoTravel

All the coasts will be very busy this summer. For warm beaches, you need to head south of North Carolina.

I would concentrate on one area instead of trying to cover so much territory.

Also, many hotels, especially those that are oceanfront, will have 7 night minimum stay requirements.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM

I too think you're trying to cover way too much ground in too little time. I understand that you're traveling a long way and probably fear that you won't get to make the trip again for a long time. So there's the temptation to try to see it all. But I'm afraid you'll wind up feeling that you didn't really see anything, just sort of buzzed by it all. Two years ago we spent 5 nights in Plymouth, Mass as a base to explore a far, far more limited area than you're talking about. We really enjoyed it and saw a lot but there was still so much more we would have liked to see. The East Coast is just so historically rich, so scenic and so diverse. I really don't see how you could possibly see the "must sees" between New England and D.C. in 10 days. Much less have time to relax! If you really want a beach experience maybe you should do D.C. and a Maryland or Delaware beach. Or NYC and the Jersey Shore. You could have some wonderful coastal experiences in New England but you're not likely to get the warm beach you're used to in Hawaii!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 08:40 AM

"masses of people" are everywhere on East Coast in summer - we have so little warm decent weather that we all stop hibernating for 3 months only.

DC is very warm in summer - not all that crowded - so take your pick. I might spend 4-5 days there and then fly to Boston, spend 3-4 days there and include 2-3 days at a beach - perhaps Cape Cod - the farther out you go (think Wellfleet, Truro end of Cape) the fewer crowds. Cape Coid National Seashore is wonderful beach. Water is cold everywhere in New England always - beach will be warm, though.

Othersw ill be horrified, but I am skipping NYC. Not my favorite place anytime, but in the summer I find it particularly oppressive.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM

I would drive the route starting in Boston (if you really want to see New England - but it makes the trip rushed)or NYC. Nantucket / Martha's Vineyard are nice beaches but would take a lot of time - and money. The BEST beaches would be The Hamptons/Fire Island on NY's L.I. - though Rehoboth/Bethany in DE are very nice (all busy in summer - do the beaches mid-week and cities weekends when the locals go to the water). If you hit Philadelphia for the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall visit then head straight east to Atlanic City (for a few hour stop, no more) then drive south to Cape May, NJ where the town is pretty Victoriana. Take the Lewes Ferry to DE beaches then head through Annapolis, MD to DC area.
1 - NYC (Visit, then walk from Am. Museum of Natural History/Hayden Planetarium through Central Park to 5th and 59th. Walk down Fifth Avenue to Rockefeller Center then over to Times Square/Theatre district for a show or movie. DO NOT EAT IN CHAIN RESTAURANTS! The next day do SOHO/Village/Tribeca with dinner in Chinatown and dessert in Little Italy.
2 - Smithsonian Museums (all free!) in Washington, DC. Take the Trolley tour from Union Station w/ on & off unlimited stops at all the major tourist spots and museums.
3 - Brandywine area around Philly - one day worth of industrial history, botanicals gardens, colonial heritage.
4 - Hudson River day trip - drive up Taconic Parkway, cross Hudson at Bear Mountain and visit West Point & Bear Mountain State Park. Drive down Rt. 9W back to NYC over George Washington Bridge.
5 - Baltimore Inner Harbor day with Orioles game at Camden Yards, National Aquarium - all walkable.
6 - Bicycle (very flat!) up the C&O canal from Georgetown in DC to Great Falls park (world class kayak site). Picnic with a box lunch from Le Madeleine would be good.
7 - Colonial Williamsburg (and for the teens Busch Gardens)is a one day or overnight from DC.
8 - Chesapeake Bay day boat trip from Annapolis to St. Michaels - scenery, water, crab dinner, etc......
9 - Trip from DC to Manassas National Battlefield, then lunch before National Air & Space Museunm Annex @ Dulles, then picnic dinner lawn seating at Wolf Trap (National Performing Arts Park)for a concert.
10 - Gettysburg
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Personally, I love the Rehoboth Beach area. If you have teens they may enjoy the Rehoboth Outlets on Route 1 (?). There is also the Sea Shell Shop around the outlets where there is miniature golf and great tasting fudge and souvenirs. I would also suggest if you go to Rehoboth's beach go during the weekday or go early before everyone gravitates toward it (D.C. weekend vacationers). Also, if you have teens they may enjoy Ocean City, MD more (26 miles from Rehoboth) as it is geared toward the younger people (teens); has a more extensive boardwalk.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Very difficult in 10 days. Suggest fly into DC spend 3 nights 2 days then amtrack to NYC w/same timeframe 3 nights 2 days. Do not miss Met Museum, and a Broadway musical. Rent a car and drive north through the Hudson Valley visiting West Point and Hyde Park (Roosevelt home) Stay overnight in Rhinebeck NY (Delemater House). Continue on, driving the Taconic state Pkwy and then across I90/495 to Cape Cod and spend 2 nights in Chatham(Beach Time). Continue on to Boston, stay downtown near Quincy Market/Financial District or Back Bay -leave from Logan next day. If you can arrange to stay an additional day or so in Boston, you will not regret it (Freedom Trail/Fenway Park)