Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need decent, well-located Chicago Hotel -- with kids. Want to save $$$.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 11:34 AM
deb

I'm traveling with my young children to catch a Cubs game in Chicago this summer. Would like to find a decent hotel, well-located, but don't want to spend too much $$$$. The last time in Chicago without kids I stayed at the Palmer House Hilton and liked it, but too much $$$$ for this trip. Also, it was too far from the Magnificent Mile. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 11:55 AM
xxx

Homewood Suites

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Pat

deb: log onto www.877chicago.com for hotel deals.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 12:52 PM
chiguy

Check with quikbook.com. They had a special for suite at the Swissotel (on Wacker) for $149/night. Is that too high for you? I'd say you're going to have a tought time finding something cheaper than that near the Mag Mile.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Statia

I got a good deal with Radisson at the airport before. They have an indoor pool to keep the kids busy and it's vey quick and easy to hop the hotel shuttle to the airport, then take the train anywhere in town.

Just another option.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 01:48 PM
thereuare

Sorry if this is a double post, as first post didn't appear to "take"...

The cheapest rates i could find for my last trip to Chicago were with www.hotrooms.com, as they only deal with hotels in Chicago and Washington DC.

Priceline might be another option, check out www.biddingfortravel.com for Chicago zones and prior winning bids.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 02:11 PM
MZ

You could try the Days Inn on Clark St. You would be 1 mile south of Wrigley, take the 22 or 36 bus. The location is wonderful. Lincoln Park is right across the street. Lincoln Park Zoo, Botanical Gardens and Nature Museum all within 5- 10 minute walks in the park. Lake Michigan beach is due east, you may be able to get a room overlooking the park and lake. Magnificent Mile is a 5-10 minute bus ride (151 bus from the park) or you can walk it(20 minutes)through the park, down Astor St. , view the million dollar plus homes. Very safe area no matter what direction you go. Last I checked with family the rooms rates ran $175 for two queens. Rooms small but clean. The neighborhood is what sells it. There is a Motel 6 just off Michigan Ave but I believe Days Inn location better for the children. Eat at Ranalli's (pizza/Italian) around the corner of hotel. Eating is outside or inside. Very popular.Ben & Jerry's next street over. Have fun. Good luck

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Rosemary

The Hampton Inn and Suites, River North. Well located, good price, indoor pool. We were there Presidents Day Weekend (without kids) but the hotel was full of families, looked ideal.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 03:30 AM
deb

Thanks to all, great advice! I am checking out a couple of the hotels mentioned -- the Days Inn and Hampton Inn look promising. I'm checking those websites mentioned, too. You guys are great!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Diane

My son just stayed at The Raphael in Chicago (right at north end of Mag Mile)
by Hancock Building. He got a rate of $67/night on the internet but did have to pay a lot for parking. He said it was in a great location, the rooms were huge and they did offer a complimentary breakfast (muffins, juice, coffee). Something to check out..

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:02 AM
deb

Thanks -- I've stayed at the Raphael before, without children, and enjoyed it. Good location, rooms large but a little in need of refurbishment (it was some years ago, so maybe that's been done), and great value for the price. If I can get a price like that, I'd definitely look into it! Thanks.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:41 PM
Jamila

The Hyatt on Wacker is good for families and close to Michigan Ave.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:40 PM
xxx

The Days Inn on Clark is a pit. I booked my parents there and they wouldn't even go past the reception desk, and they are not the least bit of picky snobs.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:43 PM
deb

Thanks for the warning about the Days Inn! I found two bad reviews of it over the net.
Any other suggestions out there? Thanks.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:29 AM
chicagotraveler

ttt

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:47 AM
xxx

See what kind of rate you can get at the Doubletree (old Guest Quarters). It's all suite hotel, great rooftop pool, close to everything.
Ditto for the bad review of the Days Inn. IMO, there isn't a Days Inn anywhere in the U.S. that's worth staying at.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Jen

Last time we were there we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. I don't know if it's a new hotel or refurbished, but everything just sparkled. There is a fridge/micro in each room and a convenience store in the lobby to stock the fridge. Right now they are running a $99 per night special. I would definitely recommend it.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Cheryl

Look into the Holiday Inn City Centre (its on Ohio street, 2 blocks east of Michigan) ... great location for Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier. Perhaps you can get a good rate there.