Need Budget Motel/ Hotel in LA Area

May 8th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Need Budget Motel/ Hotel in LA Area

My family and I are traveling to LA next month from MT and the main thing we will be doing is going to Universal Studios for my son's 13th Birthday. We are on a tight budget but really don't want to deal with roaches and bed bugs either. We will be driving so it does not have to be right next door and we are thinking of going to The Spagetti Bender one night for dinner in which I think is in the Newport Beach area. We will only be in the area for 2 nights and hopeing to pay below $80 per night with tax for the three of us.
I appreciate any help someone could give.
Thanks
Bev
May 8th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Visit Travelocity, enter Studio City, see what's in your price range and ask an opinion of someone who has recently stayed.

You can risk Priceline, but you lose control once you make your bid. Try entering $80 for a four star in Pasadena or Studio City and you could be pleasantly surprised. More likely, you will have to settle for a three star at that price point.
May 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM

W/ your budget - maybe the Days Inn in Studio City. Not posh by any means but serviceable. Most anything else at all decent will cost more -- unless you go Priceline.

Definitely check Travelocity.
May 8th, 2010, 08:32 PM

I would definitely try Priceline as that is your best chance for getting a nice hotel within your budget. Check out a map of the LA Area before you bid so you know that the area you are looking in is close to where you want to be. We have had friends who have gotten nice hotels in Pasadena on Priceline. Good Luck.
May 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, but I thought that Priceline would only guarantee a room for two people.
May 8th, 2010, 10:18 PM

abram, you are correct. They guarantee that your room will accomodate 2 people. That means it MAY only have one bed. You can request 2 beds, but the hotel need not guarantee that.

bkillian, how many will be travelling? If you do try Priceline, think about Woodland Hills, too. It's a 20 - 30 minute drive to Universal.

Other areas to try include Glendale, Burbank, Sherman Oaks.
May 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM

The two person PL limit is mainly an issue in places like SF, NYC, London, etc. In most other parts of the country including LA County, hotels will mostly have two types of rooms -- one king or two queens. So once a bid is won - you can contact the hotel and ask for a queen/queen room. (it can usually wait until check in --but calling ahead never hurts)

Usually the king bedded rooms are more in demand so most hotels do have queen/queen rooms available. Though not 100% guaranteed I guess.