Jesmond Hotel or go for Priceline?

Sep 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Jesmond Hotel or go for Priceline?

I am thinking about booking the Jesmond Hotel for 3 nights in May 2008. It is located in Bloomsbury near the British museum. Reviews on tripadvisor average 4.5 and comments are good. The rate with ensuite is 75 pounds (@150.00) total, including an English breakfast. My question is, can I do better on Priceline? I have been very much encouraged to use it, but I am feeling fairly nervous about purchasing sight unseen. I think I would only bid in the Bloomsbury, Soho/Mayfair, and Westminster zones (the Kensington zone includes Earls Court which is a bit far). Is it possible that I can get something nicer for 150.00 in these zones using priceline? Any advice/opinions would be great! Thanks!
Sep 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM

I have never used Priceline, but I have read other people's experience of getting a 4 star for $100/night. I would go ahead and try 4 star in the neighborhoods you are interested in. If you don't get it, you have nothing to lose. If you do, you should be fine if it's a 4 star. I would not bid anything under 4 star since European standards are a bit different.
Sep 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Before bidding on Priceline, check out www.biddingfortravel.com to check out what others are bidding and what hotels they are getting.

Also, check out this recent thread on using Priceline in London.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1
Oct 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM

BPJones, I am in the same situation as you are! I am considering the Morgan which is close to the Jesmond Hotel. It is more than the Jesmond and does not offer the 7th night free offer. I also have never tried Priceline but I am considering it. Please let me know how you are proceeding. Good luck!
Oct 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM

The main question is - how important is the breakfast to you, and what is it worth? If it's worth 25 pounds per day, then you will probably not do better on Priceline.

Based on TripAdvisor, this sounds like a good-quality budget hotel. With Priceline, you would get a business-class hotel - slicker for sure.

You do have what I consider to be a superb location - and it's quite likely the Priceline location would not be quite as good. However, in 2005, for example, I won the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury (a 3*) which I consider to be an equally good location. I got breakfast from a deli (usually about 10 pounds total for two of us).