Need an idea for this Saturday in LA

Jun 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
dmlove

Need an idea for this Saturday in LA

We (us and our 21-year old DD) are headed to LA for the weekend. Only Saturday is free day (Sunday, we're going to the US Men's World Cup Qualifier in Carson). We would have had no problem deciding on something to do on Saturday (probably beach towns, as we want to stay south of LAX), however, DD broke her ankle a month ago and still can't walk on it -- she's in a boot now and can use crutches/walker/wheelchair, but can't walk. So, any ideas for how we should spend our Saturday?

(Note: we are not art museum people -- we prefer just hanging out, cruising, shopping, eating, just "being" in new communities. Last two times we were in So. Cal, we spent our afternoons in Laguna Beach and Balboa Island. We've lived in No. California for 35 years, and have never spent much time south of LA (well, between LA and Anaheim anyway).

Thanks for your help.

Jun 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
lvk

If you are staying in the South Bay, you could start at the Esplanade in Redondo and take a drive along the Palos Verdes Peninsula. There are places to stop along the way, such as the Point Vicente Lighthouse & Interpretive Center. http://www.palosverdes.com/RPV/recre...pretiveCenter/
There is an exhibit of items from the now-defunct MarineLand.

The Lloyd Wright-designed Wayfarer's Chapel. www.wayfarerschapel.org/

You could have lunch at the Trump Golf Course: www.trumpnationallosangeles.com/

You could then continue on to San Pedro and over the Vincent Thomas Bridge into downtown Long Beach, where there is the Pike dining and shopping area: www.thepikeatlongbeach.com/
Shoreline Village, The Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary, etc.

You could also see who is playing at the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach on Saturday night: www.comedyandmagicclub.com/
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM
dmlove

Thank you! Those are all great ideas we definitely would not have come up with on our own. I really appreciate it.

Jun 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM
lvk

You are very welcome. It's too bad your DD has limited mobility, because there are some beautiful, easy walking trails along the way.

Let me know if you need driving or dining suggestions.
Jun 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
dmlove

Any chance the walking trails would accommodate a wheelchair?

Jun 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
lvk

Yes, the trails above Trump National Golf course will accomodate a wheelchair, as will the Strand in the beach cities: http://www.coastalconservancy.ca.gov..._smb/bike.html

I must warn you that our "June Gloom" is alive and well this week, but is predicted to lessen this weekend.
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
dmlove

I'm used to June gloom (my inlaws used to live in LA and my dad lives in San Diego, both of which are prone to it). We, on the other hand, are having simply sensational weather in No.Cal.! (I can't help the US men's soccer schedule unfortuantely)

Jun 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM

If you were near Manhattan Beach (3 mi south of LAX), you could park at the base of the Pier, and wheel your daughter out along our beautiful pier. On the weekends it's fun to watch the surfers, volleyball players, and people riding bikes along the Strand.

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/manhatt.html