Need Advice on Routes from Grand Rapids/Frankfort/Traverse City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be flying into Grand Rapids this Thursday. Would like to drive the coastline route up to Frankfort but am not sure how slow this will be and what kind of traffic I will encounter since it is around the 4th of July holiday. From Frankfort, need to go to Traverse City but would like to see part of Sleeping Bear Dunes on the way. Again, this means maybe a slower route, and more traffic to get to Traverse City. Has anyone driven the coastline routes as compared to the faster/easier routes to get to these destinations and is it worth it? This will probably be the only time we see Michigan, however, we don't want to spend our entire time driving on 2 lane roads that may move too slow. Please advise.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 02:43 PM

On Thrusday it shouldn't be much of a problem with traffic, on Friday and Saturday you will encounter heavier traffic, depending on the weather conditions, (temps), if it's warmer, more people will be out in the dunes area.

Frankfort is alot of fun, Christmas all year 'round. I took my MIL for a Girl's day out and we had a ball.

If suggest taking a faster route up to TC there is quite a bit to see or you might continue further and up to Mackinaw Island for a day visit.

I would suggest getting a really good map of Michigan, as sometimes the roads are being repaired and you can run into traffic jams, a map will help.

If you are into antiquing, there are tons of antique shops all over the area. Most of the shops will hava a guide you can take with all the shops/locations and how to get there.

Hope this helps a little, have a GREAT time.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Sorry, just re-read my post and realized you are going to Frankfort and not Frankenmuth. Frankenmuth is also worth a trip but it's on the eastern side of the state, sorry for my confusion.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Travelbuff--I was thinking that you were thinking about Frankenmuth and Bronners when you said Christmas all year 'round.

allison--The drive up the coast is well worth it although it might be crowded during the 4th holiday. Be sure to go on the Pierce Stocking scenic route, you will get great views of Lake Michigan from the dunes. It is much more enjoyable than going up 131.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We will be leaving Frankfort and heading up to the wineries in Old Mission Peninsula area above Traverse City so our thoughts were to drive from Frankfort to Empire and then take Hwy 72 towards Traverse City. Will probably not have time to do the Pierce Stocking scenic route - will we still see enough that it is worth taking this route? or should we just take Hwy 115 to Hwy 31 and bypass Sleeping Bear Dunes. What is the speed limit on Hwy 22?
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Most of the non-interstate roads in Michigan are 55 mph. I would take the drive through Empire then 72 to TC. Some very nice views along this route.