NEED ADVICE ON ALASKA CRUISE AND NORTHERN LIGHTS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Paul

Hi:
I would like to surprise my wife with a trip for her 50th birthday. She has always wanted to see the Northern Lights. Can they typically be seen during an Alaska cruise? Any advice on which cruise line, time of year, and/or itinerary to choose? (don't want a lot of kids, but not looking for a seniors cruise either). ANY ADVICE would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Paul

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:28 PM
John

Because most of the cruises are in the summer, seeing the Northern Lights will be highly unlikely because the aurora is fairly dim and the days are very long in northern latitudes (midnight sun, right?) Most aurora sightings are in the winter, when the cruise ships are in Barbados. There's a slim chance that you could see the Northern Lights in September, and better chances the farther north you go (most cruises are either entirely in Southeast Alaska or stop in Seward, near Anchorage.) If you toured the interior of the state in September (Fairbanks, Denali Park (which closes in Sept.) you'd have a better chance.

When is her birthday? If you're skiers you might consider a winter getaway to the Alyeska Resort an hour from Anchorage - the skiing is good, the resort is gorgeous (but not as gorgeous as the scenery) and I've seen the aurora bunches of time in the area (far enough from city lights that it's easy to see them if they're out.) Just a thought.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 04:15 PM
pkdof

Hi, we took the Alaska cruise on Princess two years ago, in late August/early September. We saw the Northern Lights on the last night of the cruise and were amazed and delighted.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:32 PM
sonia

We're just back from a land tour and Ocean Princess cruise (had a great time, and mostly good weather.)

As earlier poster said, the more dark sky there is the more likely you are to see them. The sky also needs to be clear -- so there are no guarantees! We started our trip in Fairbanks, and there were too many lights around the hotel to see much at night. At the McKinley Princess Lodge you can leave a request at the front desk for a wakeup call when Northern Lights or Mt McKinley appear. We had some rain and much cloud there, so no success.

Finally, when I'd given up hope, we saw the Northern Lights from the ship as we sailed between Skagway and Juneau (9/3). It was a clear beautiful night, and the lights were a translucent limey-green. Everyone was very psyched -- some folks took to the hot tubs on top deck to see them. We watched from top deck, then from our balcony. It got dark about 9:30 or so that day, and the lights showed up at about 11:00.

I hear the best way to see them is to go to Chena Hot Springs near Fairbanks in the winter. You can sit in the hot spring and watch the lights -- of course, there's a lot more darkness then... about 20 hours a day, I think!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 09:35 PM
chrislin

September through May is great for the Northern lights. I have seen them in Ketchikan during the winter that are outstanding! So if you are on a cruise...and it's a clear, cool, crisp evening, more than likely, you will experience the Northern Lights. The other night...my family in cordova said the northern lights were fantastic. People were getting wakeup calls all over town. The cruise to/from Seward in September or mid-may would be my recommendation. Princess Cruises has great specials that time of the year. Call your local agent or Carnival Cruise lines; I have used Thrifty Travel in Anchorage for my cruises in Alaska and I have lived here over 30 years. They go out of their way to make you happy! Enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:14 AM
Topper

ttt

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:09 AM
jan

Rcd this in my email today. Worth reading.
Enjoy your trip
Jan

NASA Science News for September 23, 2002

Northern autumn began today at 55 minutes past midnight EDT (Sept. 23rd at
0455 UT), which means "aurora season" is officially underway. Scientists
aren't certain of all the reasons why, but there are more geomagnetic
storms during autumn than other times of year. Already this month three
such storms have triggered auroras visible as far south as the Carolinas
in the United States. Some were so bright they cast shadows! It's an
auspicious beginning to one of the loveliest times of year.

FULL STORY at

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/23sep_auroraseason.htm?list647326

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:45 AM
elaine

Sailed Holland America "Amsterdam" 8/31/02. We saw Northern Lights September 3 (Hubbard Glacier to Sitka) from 10pm to midnight. This is a sight we'll never forget!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:52 PM
suz

I have a stupid question. Can you see the Northern Lights from any place in New England? How about Connecticut? Thanks for any info.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:04 PM
elaine

Paul,
In reponse to Alaska cruise advise, log onto www.cruisecritic.com
There are specific 'boards' for all the cruise lines and posters have lots of info.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Paul

Many thanks to all of you for the advice! I love this website for just this reason!

Thanks again,
Paul