need advice about travel between Long Branch and NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Long Beach during Aug. We will have a rental car . What is the best way to go to NYC? Can we catch a train, drive the car or use a combo of a car and catch a train in some town between Long Branch and NYC. I also need same advice on getting to Philadelphia . This will be on Fridays and returning on Sun. Thanks in advance.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:59 AM

You can get a train in Long Branch on NJ Transit Coast Line right into Penn Station in NYC or drive in via the Garden State Pkwy. via the NJ Trkp. through the Lincoln tunnel.

http://www.njtransit.com

I assume Long Beach in the body of your post is a typo aince you mention Long Branch twice.
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:02 AM
J62

From Long Branch to NYC I would take the train.

www.njtransit.com

The Garden State Parkway is horrendous during the summer.

To PHL you should plan to drive.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:32 PM

hi jsolo

I live in Long Branch and commute to NYC by train. I also visit Philly on a regular basis, so I think I can help.

I am a little confused by your post. Where are you and your wife coming from? Will you only be in the area 2 nights/3 days?
If so, I suggest driving from LB to Highlands (Connors) about 10 miles north of LB and take the ferry over to Manhattan. Ferry drop off at South Street Seaport or then east 35th street.
It is a little more pricey than the train ($24 one way vs $12) but the ride is much more enjoyable and a lot faster (45 minutes as opposed to 1.5 hours).
Depending on your time frame, you could drive down to Philly, once back in LB (where are you staying, if you don't mind me asking). However, once you get into Philly, there is really no use for a car. . .lots of mass transit/trolley service for sightseeing/walking distance in historic area/olde city.

Amtrak from Penn Station NY would easily get you to 30th street station PA in under 2 hours, but it ain't cheap to go that route.

Let me know if i can be of more help
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:42 AM

I've taken that ferry and it is a great way to travel however the service is not very frequent, especially on weekends.

http://www.seastreak.com/SeaStreak/F.../AllRoutes.htm