Train PA to NYC

May 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Train PA to NYC

My family is traveling from State College, PA to NYC this summer. We want to take a train from somewhere in PA or NJ into Penn Station in NYC. What's the best one to use? Which stations in PA or NJ are safe for us to leave our car at?
Thanks!!!
May 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Please search the United States forum for this info. This question is asked (usually in regards to Philadelphia to NYC) about once a month. Search for "New Jersey Transit."
May 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM

..and each time it's asked people are questioned as to why you want to do that. If it's to save money, depending on how many in your family and how long you stay in NYC, it's likely not to save much vs. the inconvenience of schlepping bags and a family on the train. If it's fear of driving in Manhattan, if you arrive at the right time, it's not a big deal to drive in and park.

The Travel Inn hotel is a decent budget hotel in Manhattan with FREE parking and an outdoor pool.

You can park at the ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ (Port Imperial) for $10/day and take the ferry over to Manhattan (pricey though). Info on nywaterway.com

There's a Metro Park in NJ where you can park and pick up a train into Manhattan, but it's not what I would do.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/re...te/16comm.html
May 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM
GBC

Hi...Could I offer another idea?

From State College, consider traveling east on Rt I80 to Allamuch/Panther Valley, NJ. From there you can get a Martz bus that travels on I80 (non-stop, I think) right into the Port Authority Terminal in midtown NYC. You have free parking available at Panther Valley. See: http://www.martztrailways.com

My family used to do this. It has been some time so you'd best confirm but it may work for you.

Lov Ya Lions!
May 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM

So you're driving to the NJ/Phila. area and want to take a teain to Penn Station?
You can safely park at Hamilton station in NJ and that NJT train from there. Hamioton is ot a far drive from the northet Phila.Trevose area.
May 25th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Amtrak stops at Tyrone or Huntingburg, PA daily at mid morning with a late afternoon arrival in NYP.
Departing from NYP enn at 10:50 with an early evening arrival in Tyrone.
Go to www.amtrak.com for more info.
May 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Also there is a NJ Transit park and ride off rt 80 at Mt Arlington, near Dover, that offers frequent service to Hoboken and a short ferry or Path train ridde to mid town NY. see www.njtransit.com for more info.

Search this Thread