Need Adivce on Southern Cal vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in LA. Have a week in June off. Was going to go to Kauai, but the wife's car died and we had to buy a new one. So money has become an issue. I am looking for something where we can relax by some water - pool or ocean - and get served drinks. My wife thinks we should go to Palm Springs. We have done San Diego to death. Any ideas at this point would be welcome. Looking to spend max 2k - am open to ideas outside S.Cal if price is right. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM
TahitiTams

moshdaddy..
San Diego will probably have the June Gloom and no fun sitting by a pool or the ocean with a fog bank going on..
Palm Springs in June will have 4-5* Hotel deals for pretty cheap and love baking in the sun with a cold one!
Also, you can do Cabo/PV for 5 days with flight and hotel with money left over and they have alot of great hotels right on Medana Beach and lots of cocktails..
Alaska Air has some pretty good flight/hotel deals along with Expedia..

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM

channel Islands, Anacapa Island in particular- great article on www.travelingmom.com.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Ojai--should be nice inland--can scoot down to Ventura for a "beach fix".
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM

How about SAnta Barbara ? Paul
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I second Palm Springs. Any kids? I took my two daughters (9 & 19) to Rancho Las Palmas in June 2005 - fun waterslide and fountains to play in and nice pool to float about, service poolside, too. If you are kid-less there's an adults only pool and a full service spa (which I did not get to try). Rooms were big, extremely clean, great linens, quiet, attentive hotel service overall. Also you will get low rates and families will not have descended on the place yet. Across the street are many food options, from PF Changs to hamburger diner-type places, and a nice movie theatre. We just LOVE the warm night air of PS area (which we never get here in San Diego). Have fun!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas..I will let you all know what we decide....
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Well...we bit the bullet financially and we are going to Kauai. Found a great deal on Expedia ...it's our first real vacation in two years...so back in debt we go!

Thanks again for all the great ideas!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM

I know it's a bit larger of a hike, but heading up to Big Sur is a really nice little roadtrip and not too far from LA. When you're up there, stop by Point Lobos State Park, you won't regret it.

ian
http://www.inationalpark.com
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Have you considered Santa Barbara-a great area!! Do you like the Sierra Nevada range? Tahoe, Mammoth, June Lake have water in the form of lakes and pools, yet the temp will be great (80's) compared to Palm Springs which will be ungodly hot, IMHO. I used to live in Palm Springs and would leave for as much time as possible during the summer.