Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Overnight trip from LA -- siggestions welcomed

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend, who lives in LA, and I, who lives in New York, would like to take an overnight trip from LA in early August. We would leave early Saturday am and return late Sunday night for me to catch my return redeye at LAX.

To the Californians (or Californiaphiles) out there -- what would you suggest? Palm Springs -- or is it too hot in August? Joshua Tree? Anything off the beaten path? We are pretty open in terms of cost, although we would of course prefer a great value. I would like to find somewhere beautiful and serene, rather than a crazy scene.

Thanks in advance for the help from these boards, which have always given me great advice in my diverse trip planning over the years.

Lynne
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Palm Springs is hot,hot, hot,this time of year. Some people like it. If you don't, you may want to avoid it. (Joshua Tree is hot also.)

Santa Barbara is cooler, being on the beach, and about the same distance. Lovely courthouse, mission, gardens.

My real suggestion would be "Why not LA." There is a lot to do hear, and I bet your boyfriend has not done a lot of it. Tour the stars' graves, walking tours of downtown, Pasadena, etc.

Take your boyfriend on a "Trip to LA," stay at the Biltmore, and see parts of LA he doesn't get to.

What do you like? and I will suggest other stuff.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Santa Barbara. My wife and I left Torrance on a Sat morning and arrived in Santa Barbara in 2 hrs. Very eclectic place with gorgeous scenery. Great place just to walk around and sightsee, shop and dine. Also, you have time to take a side trip to the Danish American town of Solvang for a little taste of Denmark in the states. It's a beautiful ride of about 35 miles across the coastal mountain range. You can take the 101 back if your pressed for time, which we weren't.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM

You will fry in Palm Springs.

Head south to San Diego.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM

The drive to Santa Barbara is a good idea. You could also drive south to San Juan Capistrano or even to San Diego in about 2 hours. I would avoid Palm Springs in the summer. Also, you could take a ferry to Catalina Island for the day.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Laguna Beach.
Balboa Island
Newport Beach
Catalina Island.
Fallbrook.

Oh no, Palm Springs + desert cities - way to HOT as everyone has said.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Not August in Palms Springs. And I like it hot. How about San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay? It's a bit more off the path than Santa Barbara, although you also have time for a stopover of a few hours and a bit of wine tasting on the way thru the Santa Ynez Valley. There's also Alisal Ranch in Solvang.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Forget the desert in August!!!

How about a nice trip to the San Bernardino mountains? Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead would be very scenic and cool. Either place would meet your criteria of beautiful and serene.

Your driving time should be under 3 hours.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Santa Barbara is beautful.
Also, Catalina would be a great option, and it's definitely beautiful and serene..
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM

I second the idea of Arrowhead. Love it up there. It can be 100 degrees at the foothills but 10-20 degrees cooler further up. Lovely scenery. Lovely lake.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM

If you want the mountains, I suggest Arrowhead. I have a friend who has a place in Big Bear and they had a blight that caused them to cut down a million trees, raising the tempurture. Arrowhead hasn't had that problem, so its okay.

Also concur re San Diego. Really nice small city with a lot to do. And San Diego may have the best weather in the state. It's only a couple hours away, but it is even more temperate.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just depends what appeals to you. Santa Barbara north or San Diego south are both good suggestions. Myself with only one day I'd probably stay local, maybe find some place nice in Santa Monica or Malibu.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM

Santa Barbara
Santa Ynez (Wine Country!)
San Diego
Dana Point
Laguna Niguel

All coastal suggestions--the last time I was in Palm Springs, it as 112 degrees!!! Although I remember last summer in the San Fernando Valley where I live, it went up as high as 117! Stick with the Coastal suggestions (although Santa Ynez is a bit more inland but you won't notice the warmer weather after you've had a few glasses of wine from the wine country! Firestone and Fess Parker are two of my favorites!).