Near Hartwell GA?

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Near Hartwell GA?

We are five girlfriends staying at a lake house on Lake Hartwell this weekend. (close to the town of Hartwell side). Wondering if there are any recommendations of things to do in the area or places to eat. We're 35-45, like mild to moderate hiking, shopping, food/drink. Within an hours drive please.

Thanks!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Highlands North Carolina is probably about an hour drive. Maybe a little more. In any case, the mountains surrounding it would be very close.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:34 PM

We owned a lake house on Lake Hartwell when we lived in Atlanta. Unless things have changed in the last 3 years, the dining options there are quite limited. There was a place in an old home called Vickery Parke which was the closest thing to "fine dining" in the area. For something extremely regional you might try the Swamp Guinea on the lake. They serve a variety of fried foods such as catfish, onion rings and the like. It's a real hole in the wall but could be an interesting experience.
Highlands NC is nice but would be more like a 2-hour drive.
If the house you're staying in doesn't have a boat for you to use you could rent a pontoon boat from the Hartwell Marina. If the weather is nice you could take it out on the lake and enjoy a picnic.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Highlands? I can't imagine a shopping/ side trip to Highlands from Hartwell.

There are limited restaurant options in the Hartwell area. I'll be up there on Thursday, so I'll ask my friend for recommendations.

For shopping, most folks head down 85 to the outlet mall at Commerce. Don't know if that's the kind of shopping you are looking for.

A lot of the lake people head into Anderson, SC for restaurant options. Most folks take their own food/drink and party at the lake house. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely gorgeous - and should be even nicer now because the leaves have started to turn.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Hartwell to Highlands - according to mapquest, it's 1 hour and 43 minutes. There's a different route than I was thinking of - but still isn't a drive I'd take given the options in Highlands. I've driven from a friend's lake house north of Hartwell to the Clayton/Mountain City area and it wasn't a particularly interesting or easy drive.

Hartwell to the Commerce outlet stores is less than an hour. Most folks stop on the way up or the way home (from Atlanta)

Here's a listing of the Lake Hartwell area restaurants. The two sequess mentioned are there. As you can see, there's not a lot other than fast food places and chains. Again, I'd pack stuff to cook and drink and stay in - but that's what I enjoy most about lake house trips so it's just MHO.

Have fun!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:31 PM

http://www.lake-hartwell.com/service...estaurants.htm

oops! here's the link
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:03 AM

Well, also on Mapquest it said like 66 miles. I've often found that Mapquest projected times are alot longer than reality. From Atlanta it's only about an hour and a half drive to Highlands. But, who knows. In any case, even if you don't go all the way to Highlands, the mountains are right there if you like to hike.

Clemson University is a short drive from Lake Hartwell. If you like university towns. And right next to Clemson is a cute little town called Pendleton, SC. There is one restaurant in the town square area. Might be another one or two in the area. There are some cute little shops around the town square if you like that kind of shopping.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:14 AM

Yep, but 66 miles and 1 hour 43 minutes is a pretty good indicator that you will be driving on small roads and curvy mountain roads.

Perhaps I'm biased because Highlands is not much of a destination location for me. If I were staying at Lake Hartwell for a weekend, I'd enjoy being on the lake.

Maybe other Hartwell fans can contribute hikes, etc. that are closer to "home".

I enjoyed a fabulous kayak trip on the lake last fall to a waterfall. I was along for the ride (or paddle) so I can't give specifics, but perhaps someone else can.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:26 AM

One thought if you are renting a boat for the day. Make sure you have a GOOD lake map. I'm used to navigating Lake Burton in North GA using visuals (homes and boat docks) I recognize. At the beginning of the season it's always a challenge because there has been so much new construction/ renovation things look very different.

On Hartwell, you can't see most of the homes from the water and you have to naviagate using numbered buoys. It can be a bit confusing. So, take the map and know how to find your stopping and starting points. Have fun!
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:26 AM

RE: Highlands and the surrounding mountains. Whether you actually go to Highlands or not, the mountains are right there. The downtown area of Highlands is alot of touristy type shops. If you enjoy that type thing you might like it. There are also a few restaurants up there. I've driven up and down from there on both sides and I really don't think it's ever taken more than an hour and a half. And it's a beautiful drive. Especially right now. Anyway, like I said, whether you go into Highlands or not, the mountains are right at you and very accessible.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:32 AM

I'm not very familiar w/ the area, but strangely, I just received a newsletter from a Greenville chef (John Malik at 33 Liberty) and he talked about finding a quaint hole-in-the wall w/ good Southern food. I have pasted an excerpt below:

There is a new addition to "Where we eat". Several weeks ago we got wind of a small restaurant in Belton. Supposedly the chef/owner was a chef in New Orleans for a long time. So this past Friday morning Amy & I set off for Belton. I was told that this place, Grits & Groceries, was in the old SC Tennis Museum but alas that was just a rumor. A friendly fellow in Belton offered me directions and did say that although this place had a Belton address, it was in Saylor's Crossing. So off we went ('bout six, mahbee 8 mahles down 20) with his directions. About 6 miles outside of Belton, Highway 20 forks and we had an option of staying with 20 or bearing right and taking SC 284. What would you have done? We did the same thing and stayed with 20. When we hit Abbeville County, Amy said "We should have taken that right turn in Albuquerque". So back we went, followed 284 for about 2.5 miles and right at Saylor's Crossing (intersection of 284 & 185) was this charming white with red trim country store/restaurant. Grits & Groceries is owned by Joe & Heidi Trull and they are both experienced chef/restaurateurs that spent 10 years in New Orleans. Their menu is very simple yet very inviting. Amy & I dined on Charleston style seafood stew, fried chicken livers, slow roasted beef open-face sandwiches and homemade desserts. The Trull's serve breakfast and lunch from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Their place is very small, seating for only 24 inside and we shared a table. There is also a large community table outside under a massive oak tree. Pity we do not have a place like this in Greenville! I love simple Southern fare but unfortunately every single one of the so-called "homestyle" Mom & Pop or meat & three restaurants that I have tried have served me every mass produced, frozen and convenience product imaginable. Nowadays Grandma apparently prefers Mrs.Smith's.

The Trulls are doing it the hard, honest way. They even make their own ice creams. So if you need a fun road trip one Saturday, go to "where we eat" and copy down those directions to Grits & Groceries. Lunch will cost you only about 8 or 9 dollars a person and be sure and tell them John & Amy sent you.

Also, there is a goat cheese farm that you can visit near Pendleton. Their feta in oil is great, as is the goat cheese ball w/ apricot and almonds, and of course the chevre.

There is no good evening-type dining to my knowledge in Anderson or Clemson. You might try heading down to Athens.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:40 AM

I just don't get it. I drove from the kayak trip on Lake Hartwell to my house in the mountains - north of Clayton and south of Highlands - and don't see how the "mountains are right there". The drive from the lake house quite a bit north of 85 and the town of Hartwell to my mountain house north of Clayton was in the 40 mile range and took well over an hour. It wasn't an easy or enjoyable drive - and I drive hundreds of miles a week. I've also driven the route cited by mapquest many times on business, and though the drive is fairly pretty with lots of barns and cows, it's not a "mountain drive" (or particularly interesting) until you near the NC border.

I just don't see adding on a Highlands, NC side trip to a Lake Hartwell (GA/ SC) weekend, but then again different strokes for different folks.

If I wanted to do a Highlands trip, I'd do that on one weekend and enjoy the lake experience during the lake weekend. Just my preference. But, to be honest, I wouldn't add a Highlands, NC trip to a weekend spent on Lake Burton - a MOUNTAIN lake less than 30 miles from Highlands.

The OP asked for options "within an hours drive please". Doesn't sound like a mountain side trip - Highlands or other.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:24 AM

starrsville, I think we all "get" that you don't like Highlands. Thanks for pounding it into us.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Wow! Don't remember saying anything negative about Highlands here. Other than the drive from Hartwell would be a heck of a drive. Maybe a nice outing for a week stay on the lake, but pushing it for a weekend stay.

"Pounding"? Interesting...
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:50 AM

OK, here's the scoop from a realtor frined of mine in the area.

Disclaimer - these are not my opinions, but those of a resident of the area so no personal starrsville slamming please.

Their favorite - Cateechee's Waterfall Grille. They enjoy eating at the bar.

Good steaks at Andrew's downtown.

Good BBQ at Backstreet BBQ (they don't like Fletcher's)

New restaurant on Depot in downtown just opened called McMichael's.

"For good veggies, go to Bowman (10 minutes) to the Berryman House"

"Anderson is only 30 minutes away and we go to the Brick City Grille on the main drag".

My other friend that just bought a lake house there was told by longtime owners of lake houses (primary homes in Atlanta) that outside of Hartwell, most folks drive into Anderson for restaurant options. Just what her financial planner and Atlanta neighbor has shared with her. Again, please don't slam me for offering this 3rd party opinion.

As far as MY personal experience at Hartwell, we cook and enjoy hanging out at the lake house during the weekend.

Just some info for OP, EXPATTY.