Search

NC next weekend.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC next weekend.

We are fairly new to NC and have sister and brother-in-law coming to visit next week for four days. This will be their first time in NC. Would love to hear some ideas of the best places to see and things to do with them. They like nice restaurants and want to see what everyone loves about Raleigh, Cary and surrounding areas. If it makes any difference, they are coming from MA. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks so much.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Take a day trip to the Seagrove potteries. It is a lot of fun, and they will be well stocked for the Christmas season. Take a picnic lunch!! There is only one restaurant in town. Be sure to go to Jugtown. Get a map of all the potteries in any of the places in Seagrove and then strike out.
It will be a pretty drive this time of year also.
If they need a rug, go on down from Seagrove to Troy and go to the Capel Rug store.
You might want to take them to the Angus Barn for dinner. I know people pooh pooh it, but it is a good steak and a good wine list.
Another fun little town (although they have these in MA) is Hillsboro and the Vietri outlet there.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Take them to the State Fair. It's a lot of fun......a real old fashioned type of state fair. Be sure to get some homemade ice cream from the ice cram makers run by old John Deere tractor motors. Fun to watch. Great time guaranteed.

Curious
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen & Curious,

Thanks so much. We did think about the Fair and will probably do that. Didn't know about the Seagrove potteries. Sounds like a nice day too. We have actually been to dinner at Angus Barn and I agree, Gretchen that the steak is good and it is a pretty setting.

We just went on the Raleigh trolley tour. If you haven't done that, it was really informative and we might do that with them too and have lunch. The tour guide said that Second Empire is going to start opening for lunch next week, so that is another thought. Lots of other restaurants to choose from in that area too.

Do you think it would be too far to drive to Wilmington or that area for a day? Would it be closed for the season now?

Again, thanks so much and any other ideas would be so appreciated.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Wilmington is definitely "open for business" year round and October at the beach is probably THE most beautiful time. It's probably less than a 2 hour drive. Would be nice. Choose a good restaurant, either on the beach--Wrightsville--or in the historic district.
I don't know exactly where--maybe someone from the area will chime in--but going a bit north and west to the Parkway could be a lovely day this time of year.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Gretchen. I'll bet the beach is beautiful in October. We're hoping the weather report improves for next weekend since we are always telling everyone how much we love the beautiful, mild, sunny weather. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Believe me, they will be blown away by the weather. You just don't realize the difference between 50* in MA and 50* in the Carolinas. Have fun.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Yeah - I noticed that too. That 50* in NC certainly feels warmer than the 50* in NY. Why is that?
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 02:00 AM

Another place you might want to consider is The Farrington House, there is a web site. They have some shops you can walk around. It's about 30 min. from Cary. Awesome gourmet dinners, you may need reservations.

An in Cary is also really good.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

jgmarie - thanks so much. That is on our list of places to visit. If we don't get there this weekend, we will definitely go another time. Thanks again.

Gretchen - you are right about 50* in NC feeling different than 50* in MA and, nstevey, I wonder why too? Maybe because it just never gets quite as cold here as it does there? We are loving it here for the weather, the people and so much more.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM

I think it is the humidity. It's sort of the same in Florida--there is always that "breeze" that seems to be warmer than the air temp. And it is so green here. The climate is just terrific.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM

It totally depends on their interests, but Chapel Hill is beautiful this time of year. In my opinion, it is the quintessential college town, but it has a lot more to it than just being a college town. I'd highly recommend spending the day around Chapel Hill for all ages and groups.

On Franklin Street, I would eat at Top of the Hill for dinner (their outside balcony has heaters and is very nice- you can look down on the hussle of Franklin Street).

For a true southern meal, head over to Mama Dip's- she serves up some of the best Fried Chicken you will ever find. I'm pretty sure she's been featured on the Today Show, Southern Living, Oprah, etc. Brunch is an awesome time to go to Dip's as well. It's in an old house on Rosemary Street.

A Southern Season is delicious- you can have fine dining in their restaurant, but don't forget to pick up very cool treats to take back home.

Foster's Market (in Chapel HIll and also in Durham) has delicious food as well. Pick something up to go and then picnic on the lawn of the university or down at Jordan Lake.

If you want to grab something quick and then walk around a bit, stop by Sutton's Drug Store. They have an old lunch counter in the Drug Store. Great Hamburgers, grilled cheese sandwiches and REAL cherry cokes, floats, etc.

This is a great time of year to visit North Carolina. Have fun!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM

As for restaurants in Raleigh- I really like Angus Barn (their cheese spread that they serve with crackers is fabulous). For great food that is a litte more casual, I really like Rockford on Glenwood.

It's been several years since I've eaten at Second Empire- it was good, service was excellent, but I wasn't overly impressed. Again, it's been several years, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Someone else mentioned Hillsborough- a very quaint, cute town. I have some friends who have moved to Hillsborough and are refurbishing a historic house there. They love Panciuto. I haven't been yet, but my other friends who have visited them, really liked the restaurant as well.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Shormk2--Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. My husband and I have been to Chapel Hill, but not to any of the restaurants you mentioned. They all sound delicious. We can't wait to try them out either this weekend or in the future. Thanks again and if you or anyone else has any other suggestions I would love the hear them.