NC/GA/SC Mom & Daughter trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - my Mom lives in the Savannah area. Recently finished chemo and radiation and is finally feeling like herself again. I would like to take her on a holiday for the two of us. I'd be coming in from CA or we could meet if it is only one flight leg for her. I had suggested a cruise but she doesn't like the idea - the plan needs to be more low key.

Sightseeing in smaller areas, maybe NC mountaints, antique browsing,that sort of thing - some new places for her to see and good quality time together.

Suggestions appreciated!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:39 AM

What a good idea. If it wouldn't be too taxing you could go to New Orleans. You can make it as relaxing as you want. Otherwise maybe you just come to Savannah and drive up to Asheville. You could do some of the Parkway, antiquing on up. We were just in Banner Elk and there is lots to do in that area--Blowing Rock, Boone, Banner Elk. And it would be cooler!! If that drive is too much there is an airport in Bristol--or Asheville. The Asheville airport may be a better "buy" since it is also served by Continental. Pretty sure it would require a change of plane for mom though.
One more possibility would be to meet in Charlotte and drive. Mountains are only a 2 hour drive and I think the air connection would be direct for each of you. But it will be expensive unfortunately--USAirways monopoly. Greensboro would be another maybe cheaper connection.
Hope this works out for you both.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:53 AM
GoTravel

How about a spa weekend at The Grove Park Inn in Asheville?

It's really hot and humid here now and I'd bet money she would like to get out of this heat and be pampered.

The hotel and spa are spectacular!

Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:59 AM

I'm glad your Mom is feeling better bev3..I second Asheville...My Mom and I spent Thanksgiving around that area a couple of years ago, driving up from Atlanta...We stayed in a cabin had a relaxing time building fires,and enjoying the view...we also spent time at the Biltmore Estate,and browsing in the local art galleries and shops, farmer's markets, etc. then had Thanksgiving day meal at the Dillard House in Ga on the way back...it was a great trip...Have fun wherever you decide to go !
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the good ideas and specifics - will do some reseach for Ashville.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to the advice here, I have found flight to Atlanta end of June - my Mom and I will meet there then drive to Asheville. Found some nice mt. cabins and chalets on the web. Already getting excited about the trip and I think it is the kind of sight seeing my Mom will love.

What is the travel time from Atlanta?

Anyone have particular recommendations on places you have stayed? Restaurants and activities you would recommend we not miss?

Thanks again!!

Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:59 AM

Try mapquest for your time and route.