Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NC Coast, questions about where to live!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I realize this is a tremendously large issue I am asking help with, and I realize I will get many opinions...and that is terrific! Thank you in advance for your insight!

My husband and I are considering a move to the coast in about 1 year and a half. But where to begin? We are not familiar with the various towns and are just in the infancy of our research, so any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

What we are looking for:
*A home that is either oceanfront or within a few blocks walking distace to the beach (NO condo's or shared duplexes)
*Prefer at least 3-4 bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms
*Price range $400,000 to $600,000
*Taxes under $5000
*We also have experience in renovations, so we would also consider areas with older homes that may need updating
*We are also interested in possibly building a home (lot price range between $100,000 to $250,000, and we would require at least 0.50 acres)
*Need to be near a good elementary school
*Would like to be within 1 hr of an airport (not a requirement, but would be great)
*Would love to live in a beach town that has shops/restaurants that can easily be biked/walked to (not a requirement)

We absolutely love the ocean and all of the comforts of a cozy beach town. Any suggestions of where to begin? We are going to take a trip in August to visit some of the towns. Thanks again!
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM

You can look up school info at www.ncreportcards.org
Can't help you with the rest though as have never looked into any of that.
Good luck!
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:30 AM

You can get a house a block from the ocean for $400-600,000 at Topsail Beach. You are within one hour of the Wilmington and Jacksonville airports.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Do you have a particular part of the Coast in mind ? 1) You're not likely to get oceanfront anywhere in that price range. 2) The Airport part helps a little & leads me to Amelia Island or a plethora of NC beaches in & around Wilmington. Or SC beaches in & around Charleston. To get the most bang for your buck I would explore around Wilmington. The Brunswick Island chain will likely offer the best value for your $$. www.ncbrunswick.com &/or www.brunswickcountychamber.org. www.carolinaliving.com may also be a good resource although I seldom use it.

Old May 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Have you looked at www.city-data.com? There is a coastal section forum.
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Cassandra

Remember that most of the NC coast is barrier islands. People tend not to build year-round housing so close to ocean-front (and/or on an island) in a high-risk hurricane area. Year-rounders with kids tend to live closer to town and away from storm-surge (if possible) and there's also the issue of where a town is willing to build an elementary school.

You might find what you envision on the West Coast (Laguna, LaJolla) but the NC coast is so close to sea level, and so exposed to storms, that the more stable, established communities are at least somewhat inland.

Wilmington probably has some pretty good schools, but I don't know how many people on Wrightsville are actually year-rounders, and that's where the main beach is. You could also look into the New Bern/Emerald Coast area. And perhaps Southern Shores/Duck area has something possible, although I'd guess the kids get bused over to the mainland.

Consider carefully your investment in NC oceanfront -- at the very least, your homeowners' insurance (IF you can get it) will be sky high.

Old May 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM
dmlove

You might find what you envision on the West Coast (Laguna, LaJolla)

I know this is getting off-track, since the question was about the NC coast, but you're not going to find single-family housing in Laguna or La Jolla for $400,000-600,000.

Old May 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Cassandra

dmlove, you're absolutely right -- but I wasn't looking at prices so much as the kind of community. Think the prices are going to be a problem even in NC, now that you mention it.

Old May 28th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Topsail Island, NC had oceanfront homes going for sale from $ 800,000-1,000,000 two years ago. But that's two years ago; nobody is selling for a million right now.

As Cassandra points out, the barrier islands' geology is always on the move, even if incremental. At Topsail, many oceanfront homes on the north end have been ruined by erosion. Be wary if you see an oceanfront up for an absurd price. It is most probably a desperate owner of a soon-to-be condemned oceanfront home. I've seen them up for sale. There is also the occasional massive hurricane. After a major 1996 hurricane, hundreds of oceanfront homes were destroyed at Topsail and many were not allowed to rebuild.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM
HKP

The issue of homeowners' insurance isn't a small one. Ask NeoPatrick.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM

If you honestly WANT real answers to these questions, at least about the Outer Banks area (Corolla south to Hatteras Village) I would URGE you to
go to www.outerbanksconnection.com, register, and repeat the same question on the general forum.

Why?

Because there are several real estate agents who frequent that board as well as MANY homeowners...

and they can and will answer the questions about schools, too.

Believe me, it will be worth your time to do this and in the end you may be able to absolutely rule one entire area of the NC coast in or out.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Much of the Brunswick Island chain 'miss' the direct brunt of hurricanes as they face south. Most damage is oceanfront. Having been evacuated from that area several times (+ having also stuck one out). Most damage has consisted of water damage on ground level dwellings &/or some shingles being blown off. As much as I love staying 'on the beach', I would never own 'on the beach'. Our retirement plan includes renting one of these lovely abodes over the Winter & residing in the Mts. That way someone else takes the risk, & renting off season is way cheap.

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Yeah, but some of us actually like to SWIM in the ocean LOL and during the Summer, too..weird, right?
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM

When you think of airports, there are 3 major airports in NC with other small ones. The only small one near the coast is Wilmington but it is small but does have commercial flights. The closest is probably RDU (Raleigh) but Charlotte is somewhat close to the southern coast line but just about as easy to get to RDU.

RDU is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Wilmington area with the Crystal Coast (Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle) about 3 to 3 1/2 hours from RDU.
The upper outer banks which are very nice are about 4 to 4 1/2 hours from RDU. Not sure about how close to VA Beach.

Kinston and New Bern which are 30 to 45 minutes away from Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle. They offer very limited service. (Maybe one commercial line once a twice a day)

I would suggest Emerald Isle but not as much a village as you would think and schools are off the island.

The thing to remember about NC is most of the population lives in the middle of the state. Over 5 million people live in the 3 metros. The 4th Metro is probably Wilmington which is on the coast. (or 10 miles away)

Beaches are mostly private homes, some shops but mostly visited by people who live in The Triangle, Triad and Charlotte metro.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:04 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Actually, maybe I'm weird, but I don't care for the bathwater type temps that Summer brings. My favorite time of year to go to the Carolina Beaches is Apr./May & Sept.-Nov. The water should be refreshing, not like a hot tub (which I can use at home anyway). I've been in the water @ Amelia Island in Jan. & I've been in Lake Erie in April. The Carolina Coast in August ? no thanks (unless it's free).

Old May 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Take a look at the houses for sale at Emerald Isle, NC.
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Down the street from my house at Emerald Isle is a house on the sound road with a limited view of the sound and 3 blocks from the beach. The house is on the market for $399K. Doubt it has all you want as this was actually a high end modular home (would not know this from the street). On the other side of my house are street to sound lots with great views and 2 to 3 blocks from the beach. Their cost is $750K for the lot, no house included.
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Cassandra

JennaJ? Any response?

Old May 29th, 2008, 05:55 AM

As the baby boomers retire with a resultant increase of homes on the Atlantic shore, I believe New Bern and the Pamlico Sound/River will become strong retirement areas.

Regarding schools, remember that eastern North Carolina was largely agricultural only a generation ago- tobacco and cotton. It is not historically wealthy and the schools reflect that.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

The area South of Wilmington towards Supply is also growing quite a bit. Mainly because they finally put in sewer lines that can handle denser housing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -