Search

National Parks - Zion, Grand Canyon etc. - August

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Parks - Zion, Grand Canyon etc. - August

HI All,
I am considering a 7-9 day trip through some of the National parks in August. Am I crazy to even consider going there in early August due to the heat?

I will have 2 active boys in tow (ages 11 and 13) + my husband. As a family, the longest hike we have done was 10 miles but that was pushing it. 5 miles is no issue. Considering also bringing my mother (76 -- I would limit her to mild, short hikes (1-2 miles, mild) --- possibly my father (81 - more limited mobility - flat, paved walk ok - maybe 1/2 mile; bicycle might be ok). The advantage of having both parents together would be if they opt for a simple walk versus a hike that my immediate family unit takes, then they are at least together. But I certainly couldn't see my father doing something like the Narrows at Zion (too treacherous). If my family unit did a hike, we would probably create an alternative, simpler option for my parents and meet them afterwards.

Possible itinerary:
Fly into Vegas (land & sleep there 1 night)
Zion (2 nights)
Lake Powell or Bryce Canyon (1 night)
Grand Canyon (1-2 night)
Sedona (2 nights)
Fly out of Phoenix

Note: though I would like to work in 1-2 hikes, I think we could mix up the trip with other options as well - e.g. jeep tours, mule trips, bike rides, water sports on lake Powell etc.

Am I completely crazy to consider this trip in early August?
Is this type of trip a bad idea for less mobile grandparents (i.e. are there interesting things to see and do for non-hikers - e.g. jeep tour, mule ride)
Is this itinerary doable? If so, how would you distribute the days? If too much, what would you cut?

FYI, grandparents are coming from the SFO area where they live.

Don't want to research too deeply without getting some high level guidance about what is feasible.

Thanks, in advance!
(p.s. I suppose we could always circle back through Las Vegas instead of Phoenix -- though would not want to spend time there other than as an entry point in/out given kids etc.)
Old May 20th, 2018, 01:41 PM

The first thing you should do is see if you can get lodging in/near the parks. Do go to the nps.gov site and call for reservations. If they say they are full, make a reservation you can cancel and keep calling for park lodging.

You can usually get a better deal if you pick up and return the car at the same place. If you do a loop, it can be done in either direction, so keep that in mind when you try for lodging.

It will be beastly hot in Vegas, see if you can get an early flight and head out of there the first day.
Old May 20th, 2018, 02:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It could be insanely hot in Vegas, Phoenix, and Paige. And 'just' very hot in Zion and Sedona. Any hikes would have to be in the early AM. The rest of the time you'll be in the a/c either indoors or in the car. Can you go any other time of year?
Old May 20th, 2018, 05:50 PM

Agree with prior posts. Could be difficult finding lodging, especially GC, Zion and Bryce. More importantly, the weather will be miserably hot, think 110 or higher in Vegas, Phoenix and Page with mid-high 90's in Zion and Sedona. Also, keep in mind that this is the time of year we get the monsoons so your trip could also be affected by rainstorms. Jeep tours are in open jeeps without the benefit of a normal car with ac. I grew up in Phx and can't imagine this trip in August being enjoyable. All of that being said, all of these areas will attract plenty of tourists so only you can decide if the weather works for you.
Old May 20th, 2018, 10:09 PM

No.way.in.he!!. would I do this trip in August. No way. Maybe I would do Bryce or Mesa Verde-both at higher altitudes. And I live in Utah. Just no way. August--visit Yellowstone etc--any place North. Southern Utah is for spring break or fall break.
Old May 21st, 2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Musetta
HI All,
Possible itinerary:
Fly into Vegas (land & sleep there 1 night)
Zion (2 nights)
Lake Powell or Bryce Canyon (1 night)
Grand Canyon (1-2 night)
Sedona (2 nights)
Fly out of Phoenix
Note: though I would like to work in 1-2 hikes, I think we could mix up the trip with other options as well - e.g. jeep tours, mule trips, bike rides, water sports on lake Powell etc.
Temps in early August:
Zion's main canyon - upper 90s
Bryce - upper 70s
Grand Canyon South Rim - lower 80s
Grand Canyon North Rim - mid 70s
Page - lower 90s
Sedona - mid 90s

I would assume that your parents will have issues with the heat since they are coming from San Francisco (other than at Bryce and North Rim).

If you want to do this trip, I'd limit Zion and Sedona to one day just to see the highlights. There aren't a lot of options at Zion for short/paved walks, basically the Riverside walk and the Pa'rus trail. Bryce and both rims of the Grand Canyon have multiple viewpoints and trails along the rim that are relatively flat and even. I'd be cautious about planning a mule or horseback ride for your parents, those involve some physicality and you can plan on them being sore for days afterwards, unless you pick a really short 1 hour trip.

Page - not that exciting but if you're on/in the water it would be OK.

If you're considering other options, Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado has cooler weather and a number of decent easy/short walks for your parents.
Old May 21st, 2018, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the helpful feedback. Based on your comments, I have decided to delay this trip until another time of year (probably March) when it is less hot. Instead, we are considering Alaska (very different trip!). -- Cheers, Musetta
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:43 AM

Good decision!
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:33 PM

Keep in mind the North Rim is closed until May 15th. Bryce and the South Rim will almost certainly have snow and below freezing temps at night in March. The other locations should have good weather.