Nashville - Kentucky tour

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nashville - Kentucky tour

We will be driving from Atlanta to Nashville - our first visit. From Nashville we will have 5 days to return to Atlanta. We have never been to Kentucky, and thought to include Mammoth Cave and Cumberland Pkwy in our round trip return. But now I wonder if we can't fit Louisville and Lexington into our drive. Is it possible to do this round trip in 4-5 days without staying in the car the whole time? I would like to visit the Shaker Village. Or should we stick to southern Kentucky? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:13 AM

There should be posts about Louisville. I'll try to find one and "top" it-it's a great small city. The Shaker Village is fascinating and well worth it. You'd like Berea also. Try searching the Kentucky thread.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I have looked at the posts for Louisville and Lexington and that is why I want to extend my visit further north into Kentucky. I just wanted to make sure that I would have time to enjoy some of the sites. I will also do a search for Berea -
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:07 AM

On I-65 in "normal" traffic, the drive from Nashville to Louisville is about 3 hours (without stops, obviously).

Lexington is 75 minutes east on I-64.

In between the two, in Shelbyville, is one of my favorite places, Wakefield-Scearce Galleries and the Science Hill dining room.

http://www.wakefield-scearce.com/visit.aspx
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

A tentative plan is to leave Nashville on a Wednesday and visit Mammoth Cave. Then stay the night on the way to Louisville or in Louisvlle. Spend Thursday in the Louisville area, maybe go to Churchill Downs. Then Friday stop by the Shaker Village and other interesting spots on the way (suggestions please) and stay Friday night in Lexington. The head down to Knoxville (Saturday night?) and back home to Atlanta on Sunday. Is this too ambitious?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Stop in Harrodsburg and see Fort Harrod on your way to Shaker Village (just seven miles away).

You won't have much time if Lexington if you want to see a horse farm, but your plan is certainly do-able.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Just south of Nashville is Murfreesboro, TN - Stones River National Battlefield is there. Cannonsburgh Village is also there.

Mammoth Cave

Lincoln's birthplace in Hodgenville, KY

Bardstown, Ky - several distilleries nearby. Whiskey museum at Spalding Hall is Nice. My Old Kentucky Home State Park is nice, tour the mansion there.

Louisville - Churchill Downs/Kentucky Derby Museum, Joe Ley Antiques, Louisville Slugger Museum, Belle of Louisville.

Tour Frankfort - Capitol building, Frankfort Cemetery & Daniel Boone's Grave (overlooks the Kentucky River and Frankfort), nearby Switzer Covered Bridge.

Driving tour of horse farms around Lexington.

Cumberland Falls is nice although it may be somewhat out of your way. But if you go to Berea, you might as well go to Cumberland Falls.

You'll have no problem doing this in 4-5 days.