White Mountains this weekend?

Sep 28th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

White Mountains this weekend?

Wondering if anyone in the area could give a current foliage report. We're deciding whether to go this weekend or Columbus Day weekend. It's late, I know, but we've always managed to find last minute accomodations in a town that's a little more out of the way.
Sep 28th, 2005, 09:04 AM
gc

Foliage in VT is running a week late. I assume the same holds true in NH.
Sep 28th, 2005, 09:05 AM
mm

http://foliage.visitnh.gov/index-flash.html

Put this on a single line in the address part of your browser.

mm
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM

It seems that whether the foliage is termed early or late, it really does peak on Columbus Day weekend. There is still a lot of green around here, except for the swamp maples which are already mostly red...
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM

its still almost totally green here in Massachusetts. I think the foliage will be on the later side this year.
Sep 28th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information!
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I'm posting this from North Conway right now... having been here (New England) chasing fall foliage for the past 5 days. The leaves hereabouts (White Mountains) and along Route 16 are definitely changing colours... lots of nice brown and reds as well as greens. I'd say a few more days might do the trick. Temperatures have dropped like a rock after the bad storm and gale winds (blowing some of the leaves out argh!)... but today we were able to go up to Mt Washington summit on the Auto Road trip (dangerous driving but fun lol). I wish I could post pics but my b&b's wireless is slooow.

The view from route 16 of the fall colours are not peak yet but it should be in a few days time... I hope

Heading off to Franconia tomorrow. If I have connections I'll post again

This is fun...

Sep 30th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Nice report! Have fun!
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:01 AM

A Boston TV station reported this morning that foliage will be about a week late this year...
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:33 AM
mm

MareW,

Did you go and if so how was it?

My wife and I are heading up Oct 14-16.

mm
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Foliage south of the White Mountains in the Concord NH area is starting to really color up. Yesterday the trees around a marshy pond were brilliant red. Some trees are brightly colored now and I'm beginning to see color in the hills. Big difference from our trip to the Conway area last weekend. Mornings have been very foggy with rain expected Friday night. Fair amount of color along Rt 93.
Oct 6th, 2005, 05:38 PM

The Kanc is spectacular. Flocks of leaf peepers and when I headed to Vermont Stowe area the colours are fantastic - in fact some of the trees are bald already. We stayed at the golden eagle resort and they had a maple tree right outside one of the hotel wings and over the 3 nights we stayed there, we watched it from full orange colour to half bald... when we left this morning there was about 1/3 leaves left.. it showed how fast the leaves are dropping!

The Kanc is fantastic colours... Route 100 in Vermont is great too. I don't know what's peak ( have never seen it before) but I can say that it is looking NICE the past few days.

I'm now in Williamstown Mass and the colours here are not as vibrant as further up north in Stowe and North Conway/Franconia.

Oh, Smuggler's Notch north of Stowe is fantastic too...
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

mm, no we didn't go, since everyone seemed to be in agreement that the foliage was running late. My local news station (Boston) said tonight that this weekend will be the peak for the White Mountains. Even if you go a little past peak, it's such a pretty area. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.