Search

Nashville Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nashville Hotels

I am planning a trip to Nashville for long weekend.

What are the best affordable hotel options? It has been a few years since I have been and the threads are older.

Where to eat for easy lunch and any other tips would be welcomed.
Old May 9th, 2016, 05:42 AM

We stayed at the Best Western DT. Convenient location, large rooms with frig and microwave, helpful staff, moderate price.
Old May 9th, 2016, 06:15 AM

When is your trip? Are you comfortable using Priceline? Which area of town did you prefer to stay in?

Nashville hotel prices have gotten crazy expensive the last few years even with a number of new hotels being built.
Old May 9th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Its for daughter and SIL…..want to go to Opry. THe rates are high in walking area when you add in parking. So far I have looked at Clarion (has shuttle, free parking), Fairfield Inn (shuttle).

Their budget is less than $250 a night.

I have never done price line, I am a bit of a chicken.

I will check Best Western rates. Thanks for posting.
Old May 9th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Is the Opry show they are going to at the Grand Ole Opry House or The Ryman Auditorium--there are shows at both locations, although looking at the calendar most of the upcoming ones are at the Opry House. They are in two completely different parts of town.

If the show is at the Opry House then there are many options and a much more budget-friendly area! The Best Western suggestion above, while a good one, won't be helpful if the show they are going to is at the Opry House.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Ryman.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:49 AM

Ah, good to know--thanks!

It may exceed their budget, but you might also look at the Holiday Inn Express on Broadway--they offer a free shuttle to the Lower Broadway entertainment area (although it would be walkable for them, if they are up for it).

My most recent visit to Nashville was a little over a month ago, just one night (the other nights were about 90 minutes outside the city), and I was able to get the downtown Sheraton for $99/night (with taxes and fees--$136).

The Priceline bug first bit me on a trip to Nashville in 2005 and I have been a fan ever since. It's not useful for every trip, but there are some cities/trips it works great in and Nashville is one of them.
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I have Holiday Inn Express on the list.

Downtown Sheraton bit pricy.
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:41 AM

Yes--it would have been for me too! Gone are the days of sane hotel prices in downtown Nashville--I've gotten cheaper rooms in New York City.

For my previous trip (October 2015) I did an Airbnb and used Uber/Lyft to get downtown most of the time.
Old May 9th, 2016, 12:46 PM

I live here, so haven't stayed in any specific hotels, but I can help on location!

If that's the downtown Clarion across the river from downtown, they should be aware that it's not a very attractive area. I imagine it's safe enough for visitors (check TripAdvisor reviews), but it's an industrial area near a major interstate exchange. It's not somewhere I'd want to walk around a whole lot, although it is within walking distance of a bridge to downtown, and would be a quick cab/Uber ride to downtown or Germantown (great restaurants in Germantown) if the hotel shuttle is inconvenient for some reason.

The Fairfield Inn is in a much better location in terms of restaurants, etc. It's near the Gulch, so they can either take the hotel shuttle or there's the free Music City Circuit bus between the Gulch and downtown proper.

abram, is the Best Western you stayed at the one on Division near the roundabout? If so - joethebear, if all things are equal I'd probably pick the Fairfield just due to location (it's easy walking distance to better restaurants, a great coffee shop if they're into that, a couple of local breweries, etc), but that BW would be fine too. And the HI Express that musicfan mentioned is the closest to the Ryman of them all - it's so close to the main attractions I'm surprised the hotel offers a shuttle!

My only caution with Priceline is that the "downtown" zone is large and partially in areas that you probably don't want to stay in (near Metro Center or across the river). If you go that route and want to be on the "safe" side (I don't mean physically, I'm sure you'd be fine regardless), I'd bid on a high star level. But I tend to be cautious about that kind of thing, haven't used Priceline here, and trust musicfan's prior experience!

It really is insane how expensive hotels are here. I just looked on hotels.com for the same weekend for downtown Nashville vs. some Manhattan neighborhoods, and Manhattan is actually cheaper. This blows my mind.
Old May 9th, 2016, 01:03 PM

Yes...if Priceline was being considered as an option, then I would advise bidding ONLY on 4* hotels, but that's my Priceline strategy anyway--stay in a nice place for cheap, not a mediocre place for really cheap.

I think that Fairfield Inn in The Gulch is practically brand new and agree it's in a cool area. Loved Burger Republic for lunch!
Old May 9th, 2016, 05:32 PM

I think the BW was near 7th & Union.
Old May 11th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

I found good rate at Renaissance, it looks like good choice.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:43 AM

Great--thanks for the update! I hope they have a wonderful time!
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:41 AM

Oh good! The Renaissance is in a great location for them. I'm glad that worked out!
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

DD just booked and rates were lower! I had worried would be sold out or rate go up. Got a king room for $215.00 at Renaissance, she called and got better rate.

Where to eat? Not too pricy, they will go to opry so need early dinner. ideas for luch needed too.

thanks for all the post!
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:53 AM

They'll have a car, if I'm understanding the earlier posts correctly?

What does "not too pricy" mean exactly? There are tons of great restaurants and you can get out for under $35 a person if you just get an entree (usually more like $50ish/person with an appetizer or drink), which is totally reasonable for some people and special occasion/too expensive for others.

What kind of food/ambiance do they like? A lot of the popular/newer places have excellent food but it's not the traditional Southern menus some people are looking for.

Frothy Monkey is right downtown near the Renaissance; it's a local restaurant/coffee shop with good food. It's relatively quick, so a good spot for pre-show dinners, but also good to have as an option downtown in general.

For a nicer meal, it's hard to go wrong with Husk, no matter what their interests/tastes are. It's very much Southern ingredients but not a meat and three; everything I've ever had there is great. The vegetable plate is what I usually get at dinner (it changes depending on what's available and in season). And the ambiance isn't as loud or trendy as some of the other similarly priced restaurants in town.
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for posting.

Those are good options.

Breakfast?
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:33 AM

The last couple of trips, I have gone to Puckett's Grocery:

http://puckettsgro.com/nashville/our-menu/

Fun atmosphere, lively, fast service, good food--I enjoyed it and right up the street from The Ryman.

Pancake Pantry gets recommended a lot, too--it's near Vanderbilt--usually a long line--I've only been once and that was years ago.

I also finally made it out to Loveless Cafe last fall, but it's a ways out of town:

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/

Very nostalgic and an iconic Nashville spot.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

They had a great trip. Thanks for all the tips!

The hotel was nice and were able to check in early which was super since hot that day!

Frothy Monkey was a great suggestion, DD said not crowded and good food.

The show was fun at the Ryman and it was a good weekend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -