Search

Nashville

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nashville

MDH & I are planning a trip to Nashville in Sept. in the course of a three week road trip.
Will be there 3 nights (so 2 full days +) Are doing the Grande ol Oprey, of course, and would like to include the Country Music Hall of Fame, go to the Blue Bird Cafe, and drive thru Franklin. Anything else a must? And any suggestions on where to stay that's central?
Will have a car. We are "young" senior citizens and enjoy music, history, fun bars and pubs and people.
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 11:25 AM

I'd add the Ryman backstage tour to your list. It's the original home of the Opry and a magical place.

For history, Andrew Jackson's home, the Hermitage, is east of town.

Make reservations in advance for the Bluebird - it sells out frequently, especially after being featured on the TV show.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 12:03 PM

A friend and I recently went to the Johnny Cash Museum and found it fascinating. We also had a fabulous breakfast at the Loveless Cafe. My friend said it was just as good as the food her southern grandmother used to make~quite the compliment!!
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 02:45 PM

The Frist is lovely with the best gift shop I've ever seen.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 06:09 PM

We are making our 2nd recent trip to Nashville in April. We like staying at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown but there are several other hotels in the downtown area that make it convenient to walk to many of the things of interest.

On our first trip, we did the Grand Ole Opry, Country Music Hall of Fame, Ryman Auditorium tour, the Hermitage and Cheekwood Botanical Gardens. We also wandered around the downtown area and popped into the beautifully restored Union Station Hotel.

We had barbecue as Jack's on Broadway a couple of times and had a good meal at the Wildhorse Saloon as well.

In April we will be returning and are doing a few of the things we did on our first trip (Opry and Country Music Hall of Fame) but might also include Belle Meade Plantation this trip and the new Johnny Cash Museum.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Can always count on Fodorites to steer me in the right direction.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 12:29 PM

Be sure to include a visit to a few of the honky tonks downtown - Tootie's, Legends, and The Stage are my favorites.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 06:38 AM

I am in Nashville often to visit family, and I love it there. Bar hopping in Nashville is called "Honky Tonkin" and it's a lot of fun. Just go in and out of the bars on Broadway. There's no cover charge and you don't have to order a drink to stand on the side and listen. There's always a tip cup by the band, though. There's Tootsie's, The Stage, Legends, Bluegrass Inn, Big Bang Dueling Piano bar, to name a few. In Printers Alley stop by The Fiddle and Steel Guitar Bar. In between there are the typical souvenir shops along with stores where you can buy cowboy boots. I don't think any of the restaurants in that area are worth mentioning. Franklin is quaint and sweet. I think it's worth the trip.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 07:08 AM

I don't think any of the restaurants in that area are worth mentioning.

Nope. Nashville has amazing food, but none of it in the tourist area downtown. Depending on the budget, there are plenty of options within a 5 to 15-minute drive, though.

I think Big Bang does have a cover charge after a certain time, just FYI.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Dang it, sorry for all the italics! Dang HTML!
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

thanks guys. We are considering staying at the Wyndam Nashville. Price is right and we can use our points. But it is out near Grand Ol Oprey and so I assume would present a parking problem going to downtown etc.. Originally opted for staying
in Downtown area, but that's pretty pricey. What's that commute like, and is parking a problem and also pricey? We will be there for three nights.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 03:50 AM

Book your entertainment as early as possible to get good seats. If you aren't on the Bluebird wen site the second your show is available, you won't get a seat. However, worth the effort.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 07:48 AM

Hi I would love to hear about the not-to-be-missed foodie places in Nashville. We will be there for 2-3 nights in April with a car and we love all kinds of food.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 05:14 PM

Rose Pepper is a great Mexican place
Jeni's for ice cream
Pomodoro East for yummy food

None are downtown.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 06:24 AM

Close to downtown (but not in it) - Rolf & Daughters and City House in Germantown (five minutes north of downtown) are both great. Husk (just south of downtown) is amazing - if you've heard of Husk in Charleston, this is the second location. Personally I'd start with one of those three. The Catbird Seat is the "foodiest" place in town, probably - I haven't been, but it's a fixed menu with a small seating and I'd make reservations early if you want to go. In East Nashville, Margot and Marche in addition to what SharonG mentioned; Sweet 16th Bakery over there has the best breakfast sandwich ever, and Barista Parlor is the most hipster place in town (which is saying something), but does everything they do very well. In 12 South, Burger Up is good for burgers, Las Paletas is delicious for dessert, and there's a new place called Josephine's that I haven't been to yet but is done by a chef well known and respected in town.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 06:25 AM

Eater Nashville is a great resource for where to eat, any type of restaurant.

http://nashville.eater.com/
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:51 AM

Great-thanks all! Yes I usually like the eater recs. so I will definitely take a look. I am sure we aren't going to have enough time to try all the places I want to eat at-but can't wait!