Search

Nashua?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nashua?

I've only driven past Nashua en route to other places; we're spending this weekend there attending a soccer tournament. The forecast is for wet weather but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for things to do, restaurants etc. Are there good bike trails nearby? I understand there are a couple of museums...Does it take long to get out into the country for apple picking etc?
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:51 AM
mm

Hi letour,

I live in Nashua and can help some.

Lot's of nice restaurants to choose from:
Villa Banca - Italian
Michael Timothy's - Upscale American food with French influences. Widely considered the best restaurant north of Boston.
Surf - Seafood. Across the street from Villa Banca and MT. Upscale seafood and raw bar.
You-You - Japanese/Asian
La Carreta(sp) - Mexican
Martha's Exchange - American/Brew Pub
Peddlers Daughter - Irish themed Pub

There is a nice set of bike trail around and through the Mine's Falls area and Nashua High South. This is probably one of the venues for the tourney.

Several orchards in surrounding towns, particularly Hollis and Pepperell, MA. Right now is prime apple and pumpkin harvest time.

Shopping in NH is completely tax free. You can only buy booze from State Liquor Stores but wine and beer can be purchased in grocery stores.

As a resident of Nashua since 1967 I'm sorry to say that I know of only one museum. It's the Abbott House which is more like a restored home than a classic museum. This is a few galleries, including one in the Mill Yard area run by the Nashua Art Society. I think it's called Gallery 1. Nothing else jumps out at me.

I'll check back in case you have other questions.

mm
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Hey MM, I used to live in Keene NH. Plan to move back to NH where I retire. Nashua's come a long way since I first came to NH in 1985. Now I'm stuck in middle TN (great job0.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Pis_Pistofferson

Yeshua.

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM
mm

Hi Sharon,

Considently my wife and I are going to look at some property in Peterborough tomorrow. As I also work in Nashua my commute would go from 6 miles/10 minutes to 40 miles/1 hour!

It is nice out in that area but is it nice enough to warrant the commute?

mm
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:12 AM

The Currier Art Museum in Manchester is not far from Nashua. West of Nashua, Peterborough has a great diner also art and craft galleries. A good rainy day activity is to browse the new and used books at the Toadstool bookstore.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

dfrost: You hit the nail on the head with your reference to "rainy day activity!" The tournament ended up being cancelled after a child broke his leg yesterday and the state of emergency was called by the governor due to the local flooding and inundation. We didn't get much time to anything in NH, although the dinner last night at Margeritas was fun.
Thanks to all for your ideas!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 04:55 PM

MM, be careful of any commute that makes you go over the mountain and that includes Peterborough. It's a lovely little town but the drive can be bad in the winter. My best friend lived there for awhile and finally moved to Nashua area and cannot believe what a difference that made in her daily drive.