Reload this Page >

napa winery tour advice

Search

napa winery tour advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:09 AM
Steve

napa winery tour advice

I could use some advice on fun, informative and/or just plain cool winery tours and tastings in Napa Valley. I'll be staying in St. Helena and am looking to confine my touring to between Yountville and Calistoga.
thanks.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:56 AM
nan

I can give you advice based on what we didn't do!! Get as much info off the net, find out which wineries have the kind of wine you want to try. We went last year and were surprised as the "cost". Compared to other parts of the country, few have tours, and most winery tastings cost a bit. You can spend quite a bit, so choose carefully. Also, we found that after 4 or 5 wineries per day we had enough until the next day, so plan some other activities.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 01:34 PM
shannon

Steve,
I only visited a handful of wineries while in napa last week, but I really enjoyed the Coppola winery. I didn't care for the wines I tasted, but the grounds are very nice. I would guess the tour is good (tours only run until 2 30 I believe). Upstairs they have memorabilia from his movies.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:34 PM
kal

Steve,
We were just in Napa Valley this past Sunday for a bike tour.

After the ride, we hooked up with some out of state friends who were visiting.

They already did some tasting and really liked Cakebread, Beringer, BV (Beaulieu) and one in Sonoma, the name escapes me.

We then took them by the Coppola-Niebaum estate just for the "celebrity"...and not a bad "Rubicon".
It used to be called Ingelnook and that's where we took our first "wine tasting" tour around 10 yrs ago and it was very much fun, informative and cool since it's a pretty old place.

As Shannon mentioned, FFC has a lot of his movie stuff throughout the estate. The entry way, staircase and stained glass is nice near sunset.
Mahalo,
Kal

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 03:11 PM
gina

Nan's suggestions were wise... the best thing we did when touring in Napa Valley was ask our B&B hosts to recommend their favorite wineries - small ones that didn't have distribution of wine outside of CA.

We told them we loved Red Zinfandel, and they sent us to a handful of wonderful and charming places... we especially enjoyed the Zahtila Winery in Calistoga which was run by two brothers and a golden retriever! A bonus of the smaller places is that they don't tend to charge much for the tastings - and many waved the fee entirely when we mentioned who sent us.

However, you'll likely want to go to a few larger places to start with (my favorite tour is Sterling, there are other good ones listed here) to get the lay of the land.

I also enjoyed Niebaum-Coppola - more for ambiance than tasting, as the previous poster indicated. Other favorites are Sattui for their free tastings, extensive deli and picnic area (not every meal can cost a fortune!) and Clos Pegasse (right near Sterling) for their art collection. I believe all of these are concentrated between Yountville and Calistoga.

Have fun... we can't wait to get back there ourselves!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 03:46 PM
kam

As others have said, it helps to have a good idea of what type of wine you are interested in tasting and then go to those wineries which offer that kind of wine. Look at www.napavalley.com Wineries usually open at 10-11 am and close at 4-5pm so to visit 5 or 6 during one day is probably enough, taking time out to have lunch because you'll be starving from the wine tasting. Most wineries charge for tasting now, but if you taste you receive a souvenir wine glass. My husband and I always share a tasting to avoid having too much wine. (be aware that the CHP knows you're tasting wine, so be careful driving) Some of our favorites are Trefethen, Silver Oak, Folie a Deux, St. Clement, Chateau Montelena, but we both dislike the very commercial Coppola and Robert Mondavi as well as the tourity Sterling. Have fun and remember your wine likes are a matter of personal taste--nobody can tell you what you should or shouldn't like!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:12 PM
Vince

I'm suprised no one mentioned Markham. We really enjoyed their Merlots. Beringer is also a treat for the grounds and the old estate

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:22 AM
topper

up to the top

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:05 AM
xxx

Cakebread Cellars is well worth a visit. The chardoney is very good.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:32 AM
Ms. Ghost

Hess is interesting for its somewhat out-of-the-way location, the old buildings and the art collection--plus they have excellent wines!