Reload this Page >

Napa Valley in August?

Search

Napa Valley in August?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 05:14 PM
jm

Napa Valley in August?

We are thinking about spending several days in Napa Valley for our anniversary in late August. What's the weather like at that time?

If we have a week, how should we divide our time? Should we split it up to Napa, Sonoma and San Francisco?

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 06:05 PM
Bob Brown

Early September - late August in northern California should be sunny and pleasent to warm. How much time??
I think you have to answer a fundamental question: Do you want to see a little well or a lot on a "scouting trip" basis?
To give a brief story on myself.
In 1987 we did a "scouting tour" of the Canadian Rockies -- Banff to Jasper. We liked what we saw everywhere, but a few areas appealed to us more to others. Since then we have gone back to enjoy our favorite places a second or even third time.
Think it over and make your own decision.

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 07:03 PM
pkerr

jm-
Napa in August can be hot but generally weather should be great. We went this past August and weather was great. We ate at the Rutherford Grill, it was fantastic. Depending on how many days you stay, there are alot of things to see that are relatively close. Sonoma and Napa are very close so you can go to Sonoma for part of a day. Same with San Francisco. I think its less than an hour away - maybe more like a 1/2 hour drive. Also Monterey is really nice, but that is a couple hours away from Napa, but well worth the trip. Monterey/Carmel are beautiful. Enjoy your trip

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 10:08 AM
Ruth

Plan for hot in the valleys and be pleasantly surprised if the weather is more moderate. San Francisco is more like 1-1 1/2 hours from Napa depending on where you are in the valley and what the traffic's like on that day. Have a great time in a beautiful place.

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 11:06 AM
cherie

Napa-Sonoma-Mendocino...is Wine Country to Northern Californians. We like to stay in one area for a few days and then drive over to the next for a few days. Each has its special appeal; each has some mighty famous wineries and lovely restaurants. Plan your hotel stays and reserve your restaurants now and just float each day away relaxing and seeing whatever sites interest you. I like the lovely square in Sonoma. I like the little British Pub and an Italian Restaurant off the square. Little towns are delights for the eye as you drive between the counties. Antique shops and old book stores are everywhere. The Russian River Area is delightful. Mendocino seems undisturbed (except for traffic) since the 1970s. The weather in August is warm; people take the tops of their cars.....or rent convertables. Watch for the millionaires cruising by in cars you only see in magazines. The wineries often have lovely restuarants overlooking the vineyards.