Reload this Page >

Napa Valley Favorites

Search

Napa Valley Favorites

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 09:04 AM
Gwen

Napa Valley Favorites

My husband and I are going to San Francisco/Napa Valley in mid-May. Can anyone suggest a winery tour or B&B in Napa Valley? We'd rather skip the heavily traveled, touristy locations, if possible. Price rane is moderate.

Also, I've heard that you can take train tours to the wineries. Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 01:52 PM
Monica Richards

If you want to skip the heavily touristed wineries, you want to avoid Hwy 29, and maybe stay in Sonoma or the Russian River area. You would be okay on Hwy 29 if you go midweek, though. In that case, the B & B I recommend is the Ink House. If you do stay in St. Helena, good tours are St. Supery to see a modern, working winery in action, and Schramsburg (you need to make an appointment) if you want to see a champagne cellar.

The Wine Train does not actually stop at any wineries. You get on the train and travel along 29 looking at the wineries but the train does not stop nor are you allowed to get off. It turns around and takes you back where you started. But what you do get is a nice, fancy meal in the dining car and the opportunity to taste wines on the train. I've heard it's really nice to watch the scenery roll by and enjoy a good meal, but if you're interested in touring wineries this wouldn't be the thing.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Kate

I second Monica's comments about Sonoma area wineries. Because the wineries are less crowded, they are less likely to charge for tasting, and the staff is friendlier. Also, the wines are a better value. Sonoma is a nice town to explore and has some fine restaurants. The wine train doesn't make any stops, so the decor, food, and service are the draw. (All excellent). It isn't inexpensive, but we went for lunch which was less expensive than dinner. When we went yrs ago, wine wasn't included in the price (tax & gratuity were incl). In my opinion, the scenery gets monotonous - maybe because I've been up and down that road many times. It is one of those things that is fun to do once. If you do visit Napa Valley wineries, definitely go midweek and prepare to often pay for tastings - many places will apply the fee to bottles purchased. Depending on the length of your stay, it is easy to visit both wine regions as they are not far apart. Enjoy.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 08:28 PM
Kelly

Gwen,

I agree with the Sonoma recommendations. We loved the Vintners Inn, which offers an updated B&B (nice bathrooms, fireplace, etc.) in a beautifully picturesqe setting. Have a great time.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 12:22 PM
George

Napa would be fine for weekdays, the
wineries are very close together.
We liked our stay in Calistoga because
of its small village atmosphere. From
there its relatively easy to get over to
Healdburg in Sonoma.
We prefer Sonoma Valley for scenery, and
especially for the Zin. Definitely get
to the Russian River Valley above Healdsburg, visit Rabbit Ridge, Limerick
Lane, Preston vineyards and Korbel for