Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a small hotel in New Orleans in early April

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:43 PM
Mary Jean

My husband and I will be first time visitors to New Orleans during the first week of April. We'd like a small hotel or B and B preferably in or near the French quarter. We're hoping to find something nice at a moderate price. We're wondering about The French Quarter Courtyard; The Queen and Crescent; the Olivier House Hotel or the Hotel Villa Convento. Has anyone been to any of these? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Chris Collinson

My wife & I are staying at Les Carillons in late April. It looks great at a great price. You might look into it.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Brenda

We stayed at the Hotel Villa Convento several years ago. It was nice and quiet. If you drive, you might check the parking facilities. At the time we were there, the parking garage was several blocks away. If you need anymore info, just post, and I will try to help.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Meg

The Villa Convento is in a good location in the lower Quarter which is the quieter end - mostly residential. The Queen & Crescent is in the Central Business District. I am not familiar with the other two places that you mentioned. You may want to try Lafitte's Guest House on the quiet end of Bourbon Street. Their phone number is 800/331-7971 or 504/581-2678. Parking is a problem in the Quarter. If you are driving, chances are there won't be parking on the premises - or if parking is available, it will cost you. If you are flying in, don't rent a car - it's just not necessary. There are streetcars that operate on the riverfront and on St. Charles heading uptown. There is French Quarter shuttle that makes a loop through the Quarter every 15 minutes. I live in the French Quarter, so please let me know if you need any additional information.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 12:26 PM
Bill

I would recommend the Place D'Armes on St. Ann St. This has the best location in the Quarter, halfway between Bourbon St. and the Cathedral. Beautiful private courtyard, ask for a room facing it. This hotel is getting a bit pricey, (I'd guess $150 for April) but I've stayed there 3 times and wouldn't stay anywhere else unless its full.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 01:16 PM
Steve

Les Carillons is not in a very good location...you have to cab it at night wherever you go.