Search

Napa/Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa/Sonoma

I'm going to be in SF the week of January 2-9. I can spend 2-3 days in the wine country. I imagine the weather will be terrible. Is there any point in going? Are the wineries even open?
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM

since you posted this on 2/8, do you really mean
jan 2-9, or maybe march 2-9?????
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM

I would be very surprised to hear the wineries would close. Unless out of business, or flooded.

The first week of January may be dry and nice, you never know.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

I meant January 2010. I'm getting a head start on planning. Frequent flier award tickets book up early.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Yes, the wineries will be open. Since there will be few tourists, you'll get great service. Even if its raining...50/50 chance, it will be beautiful. Pick one county or the other..personally I prefer Sonoma county, and then you can easily visit the other one.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM

wow you really are planning early. but i do understand the necessity with ff tickets
although typically weather can be cold and rainy in jan, this year it was absolutely gorgeous and sunny with temps in the 60s. we will suffer the drought in the summer.
i have never heard of any closed wineries at any time.
you could pick a valley - either sonoma or napa and go from there.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM

I agree with the 5/50 advice. We were just in Sonomoa over T-Day (I know you are asking about JAnuary but I think it is similiar) for the 20th Sonoma Holidays winery event and the weather was lovely. We've been there when it was rainy & had just as much fun.

Consider renting a wine tour limo if you can and go to Napa (can be doen for Sonoma but not the longer limo vehicles.)

That would mk the driving more fun & sfae and you would have a lovely special time.

Napa & Sonoma are like Paris to me..if you have any chance..GO!!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. We're going!

Next question - after visiting napa/sonoma we need to get to LA. I can fly and given check in/out, return rental car it takes almost all day. Or we could drive the coast. If so, where do we start and where do we jump over to The 5 to get into LA? thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM

You are going to love the Napa and Sonoma area.
Good news it won't be mobbed and you probably won't have any trouble getting into some great restaurants or wineries.
If you can spend 3 days, I would do it..it's one of our favorite places on earth and you will be so happy you did!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM

If you are talking about driving to LA in one day, don't even think about the coast. I5 is the way to go and it's all inland. Take a look at the map.

One thing to consider though is that in early January the Central Valley is often thick with tule fog which can make driving I5 very dangerous.

If, however, you have two or three days, the coastal route is a viable option although the days are really short at that time of year.

You can fly from Santa Rosa to LA out of STS but getting rid of your rental car would be a problem.

http://www.alaskaair.com/
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM

The weather could go either way. I live an hour away from Napa and it has been beautiful (even though we need the rain). Even if it's raining, everything will still be open. One New Year's day several years ago it rained too hard and flooded -- maybe that's your concern -- but that's not likely. My favorite Napa wineries with tasting rooms are St. Supery, Cosentino, Markham - none require an appointment but do charge for tasting. My favorite restaurant in the area is Rutherford Grill (and no corkage fee!)

You will enjoy your time in Napa Valley.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Kal

We ate ate Michael Chiarello's new place in Yountville, Bottega, a few weeks ago.
Deeelish. http://www.botteganapavalley.com/

Stay a few days in Y'ville and make it your base.
Good location and if you can get a limo, mo' bettah!