Napa Accomodations - Mount View Hotel

Old May 17th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa Accomodations - Mount View Hotel

We are planning a 2 or 3 night stay in Napa right after the July 4 weekend -- stying mid-week and looking for a comfortable, clean, relaxing place (for under $200/night). Would love a pool to sit by after a long day of wine tasting.

The Mount View Hotel seems to be a good match, has anyone stayed there?

Other recommendations?

Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I've stayed there. The location is nice, but the rooms are a little worn. That in and of itself would not keep me from going back.

The absolute lack of professionalism from the management would. The hotel had a mix up with our reservations and was completely unprofessional in fixing it. Think teenager at a Mall store and you'll have the right level of professionalism and enthusiasm.

They'd have to let me stay for FREE to get me to stay there again.

Calistoga is chock-a-block with places to stay, you can do better.

PS - The Mount View's pool is completely shaded in the afternoon/evening, so it would be a little cool for pool side lounging.
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Check out the Indian Springs Resort, at www.indianspringscalistoga.com We really enjoyed our stay here.

There is a huge Olympic size pool, heated with mineral water, darling bungalows and a very professional staff here. I think my story about my stay is still on their website! ***kim***
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:21 AM

I beleive that mid week you can get that
price at the Yountville Inn. Nice pool
area and huge, clean rooms. We really
enjoyed our stay. The room was very
comfortable. They often have deals on
their web site. Also - walking distance
to many great restaurants.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM

Jenn, we also like the Yountville Inn. We have stayed there a few times and it's always been nice.

We prefer a room in the lower level with the french doors that open up onto the patio by the creek.

The pool is heated just right, the jacuzzi is wonderful, rooms are spacious, and the front desk staff is very accomodating.

Sometimes there will be complimentary tasting passes to great wineries in the area. We enjoyed the Stags Leap Reserve tasting (complimentary) last time we were there.

The buffet breakfast in the am is also very good and beautifully presented. ***kim***
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM

Another vote here for an Indian Springs
bungalow-we love Calistoga compared to the rest of the Napa Valley-can't get up there there often enough !
R5
Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:17 PM

Hey Razzledazzle, when do you go? It gets hot there, huh? We went the end of May once and it was starting to get really hot.

I prefer to go the first week of May or even would like to go in the fall sometimes. The ISR offers some great specials for the winter months, also.

I left that place feeling like a Gumby doll! LOL ***kim***
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:34 PM

Hey Kim-we usually go in mid-Oct.
(anniversary),mid-December(get away from Christmas chaos),end Feb (birthday)
amd this year we went in April and it was 95 degrees! We rarely go in the summer-too hot, too busy. I love it up there when it's a litttle chilly
and un-crowded. Hou about you?
R5
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:02 PM

How nice to get to go so often. Chilly and uncrowded is nice. I think I may have spent too much time in that mineral water pool. A couple of hours when we got there and then from about ten to midnight that night and again the next am.

A mud bath would have done me in! LOL Have you tried the mud baths there? ***kim***
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:40 PM

Yes-we do a mud which is followed by a mineral bath, and then they wrap you in a flannel sheet and let you cool down and nap for 20 mins. Then we follow with a massage. Then we gumby ourselves
back to our room for a "picnic" kind of light dinner-we usually have a nice long late lunch, do a stock-up at Wexford & Woods (you have got to go there!)wander around at galleries and bookstores then do the spa stuff.
After dinner, we gumby back over to the pool for hours. I can be in there for
hours-and we have met some nice people
and had great conversations about which wineries everybody went to and such-hey-what if you were one of the guests we talked to? LOL!
R5
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:10 PM

We have only been there in May, once at the begining of the month and once the end of May. I prefered the first week of May. Have you read my story they put on their website? I haven't checked lately to see if it's still there.

The manager wanted me to send her a picture of me at the resort and I found some nice ones, but never got a chance to e-mail it over to her.

That whole ISR reminds me of our cottage we have in Astoria, OR and the pool area really reminds of the old Tapiola Pool they used to have before they built that huge indoor aquatic center. I just love the "old-time" feel of ISR. Lots of history too, for anyone interested, it's such a cool (well, really hot) place. LOL ***kim*** I think it would be really fun to work their front desk or be the pool attendant there. I almost applied once, but didn't think my family would let me move!!!

I also really enjoy that cucumber-flavored water that they put in those jugs around the pool. Did you play shuffleboard?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:51 PM

I would say we "attempt" shuffleboard

I like the "old time feel" too.
Although I have read here of dissapointment of Calistoga's spas- some people think
"spa" and have visions of Canyon Ranch or the Sonoma Mission Inn-and Calistoga is not that. But I like it better-
the 50's "taking the waters' funkiness
is appealing. It's the casulaness of
Calistoga, too, that we like. Your place in Oregon sounds great! Lucky you!
R5
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:32 PM

The mud baths are unique to the Calistoga area. Have you been to the Sonoma Mission Inn's spa? We have stayed there but I didn't get a chance to do any treatments. Next time.

The remodeling will be complete this summer and I'm anxious to hear reports about how it turned out. ***kim***
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:09 PM

Another vote for Indian Springs. You should be able to get a studio bungalow mid-week or around $200/noc I think.
If you choose to stay someplace else and do have spa treatments at Indian Springs you will also be able to hang out around their pool. We used to stay there but now have relatives in Napa so never do anymore..too bad. That being said, we are staying with those same relatives late June and have booked spa treatments and pool time at Indian Springs. Otherwise, I'd vote for the Yountville Inn. You'll be right in the thick of it and can easily walk to some pretty great places like Bistro Jeanty & Bouchon. Ah..the summer nights in the Valley..a little wine tasting by day, a swim and some nap time around the pool then a walk to dinner..what more could you want?