Nantuckett in the winter ??

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nantuckett in the winter ??

We are planning a long weekend in Nantuckett - the weekend after the "Christmas Stroll" so I understand not many restaurants will be open - anyone been there in the winter - need some ideas - Thanks
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Nantucket in the winter is wonderful. If you're hardy souls, you can nearly do the same stuff in the cold (okay, maybe not swim or bike) as in the warm. Strolling the beaches....trails, town or birding or just enjoying the outdoors are some ideas. The museum is funky and fun. Gallery hopping is always a good idea.

More and more folks are heading out to Nantucket off-season to enjoy a less crowded island. But I would check weather.com before your long weekend and be sure to bundle up as the windchill is a mighty big factor in the temps. out there.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:11 AM

We went, at the same time of year, a couple of years ago. There are a few places open, but most of the shops are shut down, as well. The town (and island) still has its charm, and it is easy to get about. But beach walking is probably out. We were staying out at Madaket. We thought we'd try a walk on the sand, but nooo....

I'd suggest taking at least one set of serious winter gear. That way, if the walking spirit moves you, you can give it a shot.

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kehsutton & Bookhall - will take some winter gear !! and a bottle of Brandy !!
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 03:58 AM

There's an article in the Sunday (11-28) NY Times about Nantucket off-season. It's available on the Times web site now.