Search

Nantucket Sound v. Cape Cod Bay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM
May
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nantucket Sound v. Cape Cod Bay

Husband, two-year old and I are looking to visit Cape Cod in late July. Heard great things about Ocean Edge in Brewster and it has everything we are looking for (proximity to beach, kitchen & W/D in room, playground, pools, casual dining etc.) however it is on the Bay not the Sound.

Are the bay beaches "nice"? I would imagine the water is not as warm? Do you get the beach experience on the Bay? For comparison, what is the surf like on the Sound and is too rough for toddlers? Would a first trip to the area be better spent on the ocean?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM

The bay-side beaches in Brewster, including the one at Ocean Edge, are very lovely and perfect for a young child. The Bay is warmer than the Sound, and calmer. The ocean/sound side can be rough. While in Brewster take your child to the Brewster Playground and the Museum of Natural History...both are on Rt6A...west from Ocean Edge.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Warmest ocean water is on the south side of the Cape (Nantucket Sound), from Woods Hole to beyond Hyannis. The outer Cape and the Bay get the Labrador Current, and chillier water. Calmest water is on the Bay, mostly fairly calm on the south (sound)side, and mostly rough, lots of surf, no-toddlers-in-water on the outer Cape.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM

The closer you get to Provincetown on the bayside the warmer the water is. Brewster waters are pretty warm once the weather gets nice. Depending on where you're from, it's plenty warm enough for most.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM

The Outer Cape...Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro has warm water on the bay side. The tide is extreme (as it is in Brewster). It goes out a 1/2 mile or so. The sun warms the sand and when the tide comes in, the warm sand warms the water. When the tide is out, there are little tidal inlets with tiny sea creatures. Pefect for toddlers and young children. Lots to see and "collect" and set free. Beautiful sunsets to see on the bay side.

The ocean side (Atlantic) is definitely much rougher and colder water.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Check out Chatham Tides (in Chatham). Fantastic condo style units on Long Island sound. Also nice (with terrific activities for kids) is the Lighthouse Inn on West Dennis Beach.

Note that "warmer" water is still very cold. Kids may turn blue within minutes, but they'll most likely just want to dub around in the sand at water's edge.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM

PS You should check availability (along with cancellation policies) and book forthwith.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:25 AM

We own a home on the bayside of Brewster and think it's the perfect spot for toddlers. The water will be warm (70s in late July) in the Bay and there are no fears of drowning from rough surf. Your child can place him or herself right in a tidal pool and have a blast for hours while you sit next to him/her reading a book!

Ocean Edge is great as you will also have indoor pools if the weather doesn't cooperate. You need to be aware, however, that much of the resort is on the south side of Route 6A and will require a shuttle ride (provided) to the beach.

I don't know whether you are looking for hotel accommodations (OE has nice one bedroom units that we've stayed in) or condo accommodations (easy to rent through owners at OE), but I would consider either. The latter might be cheaper for a week's stay.

If you do chose Brewster, let us know and I can suggest restaurants, playgrounds, indoor activities to help make your stay more fun.

A good rental site is: www.weneedavacation.com
This isn't an ad as my own house is already rented for the season but smaller homes and condos are still available I'm sure.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM

The sound has the warmest water, and it's quite 'kid friendly'. However this part of the Cape is also the most commercialized and crowded. The bay water ranges from cool to 'ok', and is usually fairly calm. The bay side is quieter and more residential, with some wide expanses of relatively uncrowded beach.
The ocean side is the most spectacular, and often has a good surf. The water here is pretty cool.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
May
Original Poster

Thanks for the input!

I think Ocean Edge would be a great fit for us however the required 7 night day may not work. We were planning on staying on the bayside of the resort and (for 7 nights) is over $6,000 just on accomodations. I liked the idea of having the indoor pools, playground and other activities but the price is just a bit steep.

Lighthouse Inn looked lovely but I don't think the units have kitchens.

I do like Chatham Tides (which has kitchens) but their site isn't very extensive. Do they have any dining options? Pools? W/D on premises? How is the area? Are their playgrounds nearby? How is the beach? Is it nice? Do they rent chairs/umbrellas?

Seems like I need to make a call to find out more and see about availability. Their site does say that stays of less than 1 week are permitted on non-townhouse units.

Thanks again for all your invaluable advice!
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM

You can stay at Ocean Edge in a 2BR condo for a week for less than $1500 if you rent from an owner. And that would include pool passes. I would look into that.\\Sorry, but I know nothing about the Chatham spot you mention.