NANTUCKET/MARTHA'S/BAR HARBOR

May 20th, 2000, 01:57 PM
JEFF

NANTUCKET/MARTHA'S/BAR HARBOR

I live in NY and like most New Yorkers who do not go to the Hamptons/Fire Isl/NJ shore, some weekends are hot and boring. I am thinking of taking a trip up north to Mass or Maine. My wife and I have been to Newport twice and want to try something new. I know nothing of these other destinations.

Price Considerations: Not too expensive but knowing that this will not be a cheap weekend!

I, like most Manhattanites do not own a car but can rent one or take a US Air shuttle to Portland Maine, NAN or Martha's. If I do go to Martha's V. or Nantuket do I need a car?

Hotel: Which place has better accomodations. I do like a b and b but admit that some amenities are a plus (like a TV).

Thank you.

May 20th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Honey

I recommend that you fly to either Manchester, NH or Portland, ME and rent a car, then head for the coast of Maine after a stop at Portsmouth, NH. Yes, there is traffic in the summer but it's nothing compared to the Hamptons, Fire Island, and New Jersey shore. Once you decide on where you're going, post again because there's lots of Fodorites who give great info once they know the specifics.

May 21st, 2000, 06:22 AM
Hank

Nantucket is my favorite place on the planet. You can fly there from NY. You do not need a car. Rent bikes to travel to any part of the island. There are many great B&B's and restaurants.

May 22nd, 2000, 10:38 AM
Charles

YOu don't need a car on the Vineyard either, though its not as easy to be carless as it is on Nantucket (because Nantucket is hals the size of the vineyard). That said, neither the Vineyard nor Nantucket can be in any way described as cheap, unless you stay on bunks in the youth hostel. They are both wonderful though.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 08:32 AM
Michael

Hank
Are there nice places on Nantucket that have a kitchenette and private deck or balconies?

My wife and I planning a long weekend May 17th-20.... looking for a nice place...
HELP
thanks Michael

Apr 23rd, 2001, 09:04 AM
Lizzie

I'm with Hank! Nantucket is my favorite place on the planet, too. It's quite expensive, but it's really worth it. You can bike anywhere on the island, so you definitely do not need a car. Look at www.nantucket.net for listings of b&bs and inns; I've been looking for places for late August, and there do seem to be plenty within my price range, which is about $150 a night.

There are fantastic restaurants and tons of places to shop. You can rent sea kayaks and paddle out around the harbor. Ride bikes to popular beaches, or to deserted ones - even during the week of Labor Day last summer, there was practically no one on the beach at 'Sconset.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread