Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name Your Favorite Can't-Put-It-Down Travel Book

Humorous: In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...e=UTF8&s=books

Serious: Everest, the West Ridge by Dr. Thomas Hornbein

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...e=UTF8&s=books
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:48 AM

Tuesdays with Morrie, Devil Wears Prada.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:06 AM

For some reason, all my favorite travel books were written in the 1960s.

For 1965 nostalgia and silliness along with some surprising still current tips, Jean Baer's Follow Me! guide to international travel for single gals:

"Unless you travel with a man, go by yourself; for she travels fastest, most happily, and most productively who travels alone."

Copies still pop up on the net from time to time--one site has a copy for sale ($4.75): http://www.txar-publib.org/friendsne...es/Page363.htm

My favorite book about France is It Isn't All Mink, by Ginette Spanier, which came out in 1961. It's a fascinating true life account of starting life in privilege in a Belle Epoque mansion along the Parc Monceau, then growing up in London during the 1920s (including insider stuff about the London theatre scene, working at Fortnum & Mason's, etc.), then moving back to France, being a Jew on the run in France during WW II, and finally, a triumphant return to Paris and glittering career as the first directrice of the House of Balmain. One of my top 10 favorite books, period, and parts of it were *heavily* borrowed for the Judith Krantz novel, Scruples. Lots of neat photos, too.

And finally, Life Magazine's 1962 guide to Paris. The movie Charade was on the other day and we pulled out the Life guide as it came out about the same time as the movie. Lots of fun to read, full of interesting tidbits, for example, at the time, a 10 minute transatlantic phone call cost roughly the same as spending the night at the Ritz! (I'd splash for the hotel and send a postcard instead)
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:52 AM

I like to travel with one of my old original Iam Fleming James Bond books, they are small and I like reading about his travels, style, and his interesting culinary adventures...I read them over and over..
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:55 AM

I second Bill Bryson In a Sunburned Country (about Australia) and his book: A walk in the Woods (about the Apalacian trail)

I also enjoyed:
Into Thin Air: by Jon Krakauer (about Mt. Everest)

I guess I have a lot in common with MRand!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:57 AM

I am a hopeless romantic. I love Daniell Steel. Although predicatable most times, I loved "Summers End." It held a few surprises for me!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:01 AM
GoTravel

The Florida Keys by Joy Williams

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Wait a minute. Did the OP mean books about travel or books to read while you travel?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:32 AM
GoTravel

Good question.

By the answers, it seems half think what travel book and the other half think what book when you travel.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:51 AM
JJ5

I read quantity as well as quality, part of my job actually too. There's no way I could say absolute favorites, because I find about 10 books a year at least that I would consider in that "can't put it down" category.

On vacation I love current modern, fun reads- about people I might actually know with families and relationships- obligations/ responsibilities.

By travel book, do you mean books about travel and travel experiences or just any book that "travels" well for a vacation "fun" mode of reading?

I'm reading one right now that has really lead me into unknown territory, I just don't know where it's heading next. And it is rather funny as the characters are so dysfunctional (but not as bad as in "Devil Wears Prada" dysfunctional). These characters do have some social filters remaining. But it's not total fluff.

"The Good Neighbor" by William Kowalski. They discover the 150 year old house in Pennsylvania that they buy in this novel, during a vacation wander.

From the recent 5 or 6 years I would pick these for non-fluff "can't put it down":

Middlesex (long read, but intriguing, witty, funny and profound as well)
Kite Runner
House of Sand & Fog
Atonement
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Favorites for fun fiction:

Anything by Harlan Coban
Anything by Susan Isaacs (Especially, "Long Time No See")

Favorites for peaceful contemplation:

Rosamunde Pilcher, especially "Shell Seekers"

And many non-fiction like "One Year Off".

I didn't include the old time favorites as most people don't relate.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Notes From A Small Island (Bill Bryson)

Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica (Sara Wheeler) which I read in Chicago while visiting during a heat
wave.

Night (Elie Wiesel)

>>I didn't include the old time favorites as most people don't relate.<<

Oh give it shot why don't you? Don't assume people won't relate.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Any I cannot put down any book that deals with the trip I'm currently planning. This could be a history or guide book.
Once I get on the airplane I want a good plot that trucks along. Bernard Cornwell, Nora Roberts, Penelope Stokes, Stephen King or Janet Evanovich fit the bill.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM
JJ5

obxgirl,

I didn't mean that at all the way you took it. I've been told here exactly that with those exact words. And it is also true that most people do not want to obtain out of print for vacations.

Why so sarcastic, instead of assuming good intent, which it was.

"Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier

That one would be in your public library.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM

I have two favorites that I treasure both were found at yard sales. One is a 1966 Rand McNally Road Atlas. I still use it with I am following the old US-Highways. Many are no longer shown in detail on the new maps.

The other is an old Travel Guide of the United States and Canada that was put out by the Sinclair Oil Company in the early 60's. I like the part when it mentioned some of the acceptable clothing to take to Yellowstone NP, one item it listed, was a sports coat with shirt and tie, a suit was not required. We have been to Yellowstone more than 20 times and never have seen a visitor with a coat and tie. It also suggested you get the National Park annual pass to save money, cost $8.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Or in our personal library.

I just bought a 1941 edition of New Yorker short stories recommended on this board. VERY interesting. What a deal - $3.99 on ebay. At over 400 pages of short stories by well known authors - many of which I had not read, it was a great find.

As it is a beautiful hardcover volume, it can't become "beach reading" or similar. I buy paperbacks for that - because I know the book will be damaged during the vacation. This one's a treasure.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Wow, starrsville, that came quick! Didn't you just order it a week ago? My copy is pretty battered, the front cover has fallen off, but the content inside is just as good.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:55 AM

It came VERY quick. I ordered it before I went on vacation and it was waiting for me when I got home. The condition was listed as "very good" but it looks absolutely pristine. If your is battered, consider buying a "newer" version. Mine looks as if has been shelved since its purchase in 1941.

Thanks SO much for the recommendation. I am enjoying reading these authors so much!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No sarcasm intended JJ5. I like to read and I like to hear what other people read.

Rebecca is on my bookshelf along with The Frenchman's Creek.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Miles from Nowhere, A Round the World Bicycle Adventure by Barbara Savage. With little training she (and her husband) departed California and made it around the world, only to lose her life after having been hit by a car upon her return home. I remember reading this book on a houseboat vacation and I couldn't put it down.
http://tinyurl.com/f4r7e
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I just started "Hitching Rides with Buddha", by Will Ferguson. He is a Canadian teaching in Japan and attempts to hitchhike the length of the country, from Kyushu to Hokkaido, following the Cherry Blossom Front. I'm just a few chapters into the book, but his interactions with various people and observations of the country are quite interesting. Hope the rest of the book holds up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -