Reload this Page >

Nags Head, NC - March - groceries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:31 PM
nags head

Looking into renting a house in Nags Head, NC March 2003 for a week with a group of friends. We want to have a "teach each other to cook gourmet" week and are wondering about the avalibility of quality groceries, veg/fruit, cheeses, etc. in the area. Are there good stores nearby? is the time of year a problem (stores closed over winter)? or should we just plan on bringing a lot from home?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
carolyn

You won't have any problems in March, everything is starting to open up again. January is the quietest month down there. The grocery stores are open all year round.

The 2 biggies are Seamark and Food Lion. Seamark is more upscale, along with their prices. They have a fantastic seafood section, which is rather inexpensive. You'll find the availability of foods the same as most major cities. Unless you are looking for something a little obscure, like, say, lemongrass, you shouldn't have any problem.

There is a Seamark in Southern Shores and in Nags Head, and a Food Lion in Kill Devil Hills.

There are several speciality stores up and down the bypass as well.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:49 PM
BuffaloBill

There are several supermarkets, open year round, where you can purchase basic groceries. They are not likely to have any of the following, especially in March: exotic and/or organic fruits or vegtables (no star anise or scotch bonnet peppers); multitudes of soy items (milk, yes, chai tea mix, no); good bread; uncommon herbs or spices (no lemongrass or panang curry); interesting cuts of meat (but, you won't have a problem finding the basic); or, "ethnic" foods (no squid ink fettucini, fish oil or pre-made crapes). There are no "green grocers," bodegas or Asian food stores.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:05 PM
nags head

WOW - thanks for the quick reply. I thought my question may have been too obscure and I would have to wait weeks for an answer!

Glad to hear fresh, good quality produce will not be a problem! much easier to pack a few spices than a week's worth of food!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:36 PM
ddd

Well I wouldn't go so far as to call it "fresh, good quality produce." I'd call it produce. Quality is variable especially in the off season. Examples of things you'll find but whose quality might be inferior: fresh herbs (including parsley), tomatoes, red onions, green onions, any perishable berries, peppers (other than standard issue green), mushrooms.

If there is an item whose abundance or freshness is critical to the success the meal, I'd haul along.

There is a small, upscale and hugely expensive market in Duck named Tommy's. You'll find buffalo steaks and excellent champagne. They may have shortened hours in March. Website is www.tommysmarket.com. If you really want luxury you can pay them an exhorbitant sum and they'll deliver the groceries to you shortly after you arrive.

Sorry to rain on the parade a bit. Certainly doable but you might have to do a little more planning. Sounds like great fun!

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around Thanksgiving, Nov. 24, 2011, where is the best place to stay, as our whole family maybe coming. Also interested if things are still open, and where a major food store is.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Hard to tell you without more information. I love the Banks in the fall but it can be a little blustery.

Look at obxconnection.com. Many people who own houses and live there are regular posters.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Why not start a NEW, not 9 year old thread.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM

I thought about that too, but the poster is new, so s/he may not get that. Hi Gretchen!