Nags Head, NC in March

Search

Nags Head, NC in March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nags Head, NC in March

We're thinking of taking a long weekend in early March - and wanted to go somewhere that's no more than a 6 hour drive from DC (we're taking our dogs....). Nags Head fits that bill - has anyone ever been there in March? I know it won't be hot or anything, but are there restaurants open and might it be fairly nice?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Doh

Maybe someone else can answer about how much is open in Nags Head, but have you thought about just going to the Eastern Shore? (I think the Chesapeake Hyatt is dog-friendly.)
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM

March can be very windy and the cold NE winds make walking on the beach quite unpleasant, if this is what you want to do. For restaurants, check Queen Anne’s Revenge, Manteo. (252)-473-3333.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I've been to the Eastern Shore a million times (my sister lives there) - so we wanted to go somewhere different... Windy, hmmmm... I guess I expected that, and I figured we wouldn't spend that much time on the beach, but I thought it was probably scenic enough to do some short car trips up and down that strip....
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
March temperatures are typically in the 40s and 50s but it could go warmer or colder. Not predictable. Water temps will be very cold. Prevailing NE winds all March have not been my experience but could happen on any given day.

The Outer Banks is very much a year round community so much will be open. Some places may have abbreviated hours and some things which are almost exclusively for tourists (eco tours, boat rental) may not be open at all.

House or hotel?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking hotel because we're not going for a whole week and we don't seem to meet the check-in/check-out requirements I see on the web for house rentals. I do see lots of hotels that take pets so I thought it might be interesting. I'm thinking - how bad can it be, I won't be at work....
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM

I think you might like it. No crowds! Dogs can run on the beach. (Check local restrictions here
http://www.outerbanks.org/visitor_se..._the_beach.asp

The weather will be unpredictable. Some stuff will not be open (shops).

If you are near Kitty Hawk check out the Run Down Cafe.
http://www.thecoastalexplorer.com/RundownCafe/

Bring your binoculars - there will be lots of nature (great birding).
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I had been looking at that website - really great site for determining the options.... Also, I'll note the restaurant. As I look, Nags Head looks like my best option so far.... Thanks again.