Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

N.O. change of plans - suggestions for 4 day road trip from Dallas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say how sorry we all are here in the UK for the loss of life and destuction in New Orleans caused by Katrina - our thoughts are with you.

I had planned to spend a few days in New Orleans at the end of September, in between a stag party in Dallas and the wedding in Oklahoma City, and had received some great advice from this forum on the trip.

However, for obvious reasons it looks like my plans will have to change, and I'm looking to you wonderfully helpful people to suggest where I might head for instead.

I'll be picking up a hire car in Dallas on the Sunday afternoon, and by Thursday must be somewhere from where I can catch a flight to Oklahama. That gives me four days to kill.

I enjoy driving in the States, so the miles don't worry me. I'm just interested in seeing as much of your beautiful country as possible in that time. I was thinking of heading West to Sante Fe, and then maybe North to Denver or Boulder, but I really have no idea what is feasible! Your country is so huge, and I have difficulty envisaging the distances.

So, how long would it take to drive from Dallas to Denver via Sante Fe and Boulder, assuming say 8 hours on the road per day? Is the journey worth it (i.e. scenic)?

I'm very much open to other ideas, so any alternative itineraries would be gratefully received - I am all yours!

Many thanks.
Dave
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

PS: I should also have added that I prefer small but lively towns to big cities for overnight stops.

I'm also now thinking of skipping Colorado, and driving Dallas to Las Vegas, via Santa Fe and the Grand Canyon. Would that trip take me through any mountains?

So big a counry, so much to see! Ideas?
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:09 AM

Dallas to Sante Fe is a nine hour drive. And there will be one way drop off charges if not returning to Dallas. Is that all ok with you? Remember gas prices are going up here after the hurricane.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:18 AM

Another suggestion is to take a one way flight from Dallas to Albuerque, NM. Its about 150 dollars and just about an hour. Then get a car and drive up to Sante Fe and onward.

Southwest.com
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:35 AM

I can't imagine doing a road trip from Dallas to Las Vegas in only 4 days! Driving 9 hours a day, it will take you 2.5 days to reach Vegas. Colorado would be a little more feasible since it is about an 8-hour drive from Dallas to the Colorado state line. But it's a pretty boring drive through the Texas Panhandle...

Honestly, I again recommend that you go to the Texas Hill Country. Fredericksburg, Gruene and San Antonio all fit your "small but lively towns" requirement. You could even stop for a beer in Luckenbach, Texas! The weather in the early fall is usually lovely, too. At most, the Hill Country is a 5-hour drive from Dallas, so it is easily reachable in a day, giving you more time to explore. (I always have a good time down there!) Plus, you could drive back to Dallas, or fly to OKC out of San Antonio or Austin.

Good luck!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:37 AM

San Antonio is in a reasonable driving distance & worth the trip. ChristieP has the best plan...
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:45 AM
GoTravel

Oooh, I think Sante Fe is an excellent idea!

Lenox gave you great advice.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:06 AM

I think it all depends on what guarro wants and is willing to do. What seems like a long drive to us may not sound so bad if he/she is really motivated to see as much of our country as possible. I know that is how I am when I travel to Europe. If I want to see an area, I am willing to drive a long way to get there.

But seeing Austin/San Antonio would fit the bill of smaller cities - but would limit the experience to Texas and the OK. So, I guess we need to keep talking with Guarro to find out what the scoop is...
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the prompt responses everyone.

What I'm looking for is to see some of America's main sites, and to try to experience as much of your varied country as possible in a very short space of time! The bits I like I would hope to come back to one day. This will be only my second trip to the States (I was in California in April), and I don't know when I'll get the chance for a return visit, so it's really a taster tour, if that makes sense. I really don't mind driving for 8 hours in a day if it's through magnificent scenery.

This is what I'm now thinking:

I really like the idea of flying from Dallas to Albuquerque and picking up my rental car there, particularly if West Texas is not very interesting.

Then overnight Sunday either in Santa Fe, or somewhere a short drive to the West of Albuquerque (Acoma? Grants? Gallup? - does anyone know these places?).

Then on Monday head West to Flagstaff, overnight either there or at the Grand Canyon (is there a town in or very close to the National Park?), then Tuesday head for Vegas for two nights of vulgar decadence before catching a flight back to OKC on Thursday.

Does that sound like a plan? Is there anywhere of particular interest on the way (any 'must sees')?. Perhaps I should start a new thread with a slighly more focussed title!

Sorry Christie - but Fredericksburg, Gruene and Luckenbach, beautiful though I'm sure they are, just don't grab me in quite the same way as Sante Fe, Grand Canyon and Vegas! Hope you understand.

Cheers all,
Dave
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:21 PM

Just in response to lenox's comment that gas prices are on the increase... I saw a chart in a newspaper the other day comparing gas prices around the world; I think the survey was done on August 8. The UK was the highest, over $6/gallon at the then current exchange rates. guarro, you'll be getting a bargain here.

I would suggest Santa Fe as your overnight spot. You won't regret a night there, but I'd bet you would at the other towns you mention. I like the rest of your itinerary, but don't have a much better idea than you as to its feasibility.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks for your kind words about New Orleans. I used to live there and it is heartbreaking to see.

I agree with the other posters that San Antonio would be your best bet. There is the Riverwalk, Mexican market, and excellent museum of Texas cultures, and, of course, The Alamo. The Hill Country includes the LBJ Ranch and the picturesque town of Fredericksburg.

I don't think you really understand the distances in the U.S. The U.K. is about one-third the size of Texas. Compare the scale on a US map with one of Europe and you'll get some idea of the vast size.

Also, as someone else pointed out, BE SURE to check the rental car dropoff charges when you don't return to the point of rental. They can be horrendous.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM

Guarro-
If you are set on seeing those parts of the country, I think your plan is a good one. Flying into either Albuquerque or Santa Fe is much better than driving to it-- West Texas can be a mind-numbing drive. I would overnight it in Santa Fe-- the other cities you mentioned west of Albq do not really compare.

Looks like from Santa Fe to Flagstaff, it is about a 6 hr drive according to yahoo maps. Not too bad but it does take up a big chunk of your day.

Flagstaff is the closest/largest city to the Grand Canyon. I know there are places you can stay at in the park itself but not sure if end of Sept will be difficult to find a place. Hopefully, someone else can answer that. Sedona is also lovely- and I actually prefer it over the Grand Canyon but understand that the GC is a landmark in the US and you probably would not want to miss it.

Finally, another 5 hrs to Las Vegas from Flagstaff- again according to yahoo maps. I don't think this route takes you over the Hoover Dam but it should be a fairly straightforward drive. Not sure if you will be able to get in a full 2 days at LV with all of this driving. Of course, the city is open 24/7 so you should still get your fill of "vulgar decadence."

I have rented cars in the past and dropped off at different cities -- the cost was surprisingly low. We dropped off at airports so maybe that was why? Just check on a site like Orbitz to start comparing rates between all of the different rental agencies.

Have a great trip-
Jane
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:19 PM

I think your itinerary sounds great! Tusayan is a small town about 1 mile south of the Grand Canyon. We used it as our base when we visited and found it very convenient. We stayed at the Quality Inn and had no complaints. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again guys.

Re. car rental - I've already checked that out. Amazingly it's cheaper to book through a UK agent (www.airline-network.co.uk/carhire) than it is to book direct, and no one-way drop-off charges. Crysler Sebring convertible for 4 days for £122 (about $190?). I've used them before with no problems (San Fran to Reno).

As for distances, I'm quite aware that I don't really understand them - that was really the reason for this post! However I've now discovered mapquest.com, and assuming it's accurate I think my itinerary will work fairly well. At the risk of repeating myself, I really don't mind driving for 8 hours a day, provided that the scenery is good and the traffic is not a problem - I've done plenty of similar trips over here, such as driving from London to Spain via France - over 1,500 miles in 2 days. I calculate that Albuquerque to vegas, as the crow flies, is only about 500 miles (call it 800 driving). For me, the travelling is an important part of the trip, and I love just being able to check out new environments as I pass through.

Jane - of course when I said that I would have 2 days in Vegas, I really meant that I would have 2 nights!

I'm still not hugely tempted by San Antonio - why would it be a better destination than New Mexico, the Grand Canyon & Vegas?! I'm willing to be convinced!

Thanks again all.
Dave
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:31 PM
stjohnbound

guarro, to check driving distances, just log on to www.maps.google.com. You can type in, for example, "Dallas, TX to Santa Fe, NM" and you'll get the total driving distance plus directions. You can also type in "Santa Fe Hotels" and things like that and it will show where they are located. Have a great trip!!

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:35 PM

If you like to drive long distances, then head north from Santa Fe to Durango, Colorado (beautiful). Go to the Indian cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde National Park. Head west through Monument Valley to the Grand Canyon. You'll see the sterotypical Western/ desert/ butte landscapes of American Westerns. I'd overnight in the Park at the Grand Canyon.

San Antonio is no match for such a trip.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:57 PM

I might also go to the fodors destination part of this website. They have a profile of the Grand Canyon with hotel suggestions and driving tour suggestions.

Just driving through NM and Arizona is spectacular - like a whole different landscape and you will get a good feeling of the American West. Very beautiful.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:47 PM

guarro,
I think your idea is really good. Fly from Dallas to Albuquerque, get the rental car and drive an hour north to Santa Fe for the afternoon and overnight. Then take off for the Grand Canyon which mapquest says is 7 hrs. can arrive there with time to wander or short hike. Overnight inside or outside the park, if you can find anything -- a little late notice but can call 1-888-297-2757 Xanterra Parks and Resorts. Or stay in Flagstaff that is near I-40.

Next morning drive to Las Vegas -- about 4 1/2 hours -- and spend 2 nights in Vegas. Then fly to Dallas or Oklahoma City on Southwest Airlines -- don't remember where you wanted to fly back.

I agree that you don't want to drive from Dallas to Santa Fe as there isn't anything to see until you get into the foothills of Santa Fe.

We are headed out to Sedona and the Grand Canyon tomorrow and then Santa Fe next week. You will enjoy it!

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:46 AM

Dave-
In my opinion, San Antonio/TX Hill country do not compare to Santa Fe/AZ/Las Vegas. And this is coming from someone who grew up in Texas! NM and AZ are uniquely beautiful. And there is no place quite like Vegas. I would stick to your plan as is.

Another mapping resource- I like http://maps.yahoo.com Mapquest has failed me several times but I know it's all a matter of preferences!

Have a great trip!
Jane

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM

Hello Dave,
I have to throw my two cents in. We live in Fort Worth (an hour west of Dallas). We travel to New Mexico frequently because we have a vacation home in Red River (two hours north of Sante Fe). We also travel frequently to the Hill Country. That said, driving from Dallas to Sante Fe is a boring, boring drive. It is flat, brown, and endless with nothing to see between. If you have your heart set on New Mexico, fly from Dallas to Albuquerque, rent a car, head north to Sante Fe and perhaps continue to Red River for the enchanted circle. Red River is very close to the Colorado border and is completely different geographically from Sante Fe. Taos is in between the two deserving time as well. You can easily fly to Oklahoma from Albuquerque on the return. If the Hill country is of interest (which would be my favorite given your time frame), I'd drive to Gruene, Texas (four hour drive) and stay at the Gruene Mansion Inn along the river, eat at the Gristmill, dance at the Gruene dance hall, and take daytrips to San Antonio, Fredericksburg, Comfort, and Austin. You could fly home from San Antonio. A great place to stay for ambience in San Antonio is the Menger Hotel. Hope this helps. Don't be too ambitious with trying to drive too much. Happy travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -