N.O. - Best muffalettas?

Search

N.O. - Best muffalettas?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N.O. - Best muffalettas?

Heard about Central Grocery and Napoleon House having the best muffalettas. Anyone agree or have another recommendation?
Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:56 AM

I agree with Central Grocery, and you MUST eat them there in the funky surroundings with the line snaking out the door.

The sandwich is spectacular, and the people-watching experience is par excellence.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:01 AM

Napoleon House's Muffalettas are good, but beware they are served warm, not room temperature.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:29 AM
hpl

They are different but both excellent. I'll get one from Central City with a cold Barq's down to the riverfront. If I want to sit down inside, than it's the warm muffaletta from Napolean's.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:57 AM

Yeah, ya right! Barq's will be the icing on the cake. My favorite is a plate of red beans & rice, bread & butter & an ice cold Barq's. Nothing better no matter the price!! I figure that's why we won't have a political convention here. Who would want to sit around & play cheerleader when they can enjoy the food & vibes of NO??
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:58 AM

Definitely Central Grocery, but I've had a good one from Mother's and from Cafe Masparo as well. Enjoy your trip to New Orleans! Haven't been there in nearly a year, but it haunts my dreams.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Kal

We've been disappointed the past 2 trips with Cent Grocery. Resting on it's laurels?
Still good but when you've had them over the years...

But still, there's nothing better than snagging one, go next door and get a bottle of wine or a few bottles of Abita Turbo Dog then walking over the the Riverwalk and eating, drinking and watching the ships roll on by.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:06 PM

A great place to eat a Central Grocery muffaletta is on the airplane leaving N.O. You'll really appreciate it when the best the FA's can offer is a tiny bag of pretzel fragments. If necessary, you can eat half at the departure gate when your flight is delayed, saving the rest for in-flight enjoyment.
(I think fragrant carry-aboard foods should be avoided, but this is my one exception to that rule, because there are always other passengers doing the same!).
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM
Kal

kayd,
We bought some alum foil and wrapped a few up to bring home one year. Well before the era of 9-11.

Has anyone tried to bring them back lately?

Muffs and Lucky Dogs!!!! My type o' eatin'!!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 02:21 PM

I routinely bring food on airplanes - never a mufalleta, but other sandwiches and things. I've never had a problem. I think the airlines are happy to have the passengers bring their own food.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:19 AM

Kal - I didn't know you ATE while in N'Awlins.....I kinda thought that was a liquid vacation. Only 18 more days!!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Kal

Clou,
It's my version of the triathalon.
"Eatin', Drinkin' and you-know-whatin'".

What goes on in NOLA....is forgotten the next day in NOLA.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:51 AM

If there's a good travelling sandwich, it's gotta be a central grocery muffaletta. From experience I can say that a fried shrimp poboy from Johnny's doesn't keep well--it's great on the premises, but not good cold. Frank's is a small restaurant about two blocks down from Central Grocery toward the French Market and they have great muffalettas, poboys, and lots of other dishes--Italian influence.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
Kal

Oh...JCor,
I meant if it's wrapped in alum foil. We bring burgers/sammies/munchies too but not wrapped in foil.

d'girl,
I'd need a towel to eat my 'letta on a plane! Slurpy olive oil.....very yummie. Ever try and "build one" at home? Never tastes the same.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM

Central Grocery is still great. And taking one on the plane is fun too - a hungary flight attendant just might find you a seat in first class. In any event, everyone will want to be your best friend.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:07 AM

I am going to NOLA for xmas...and y'all are making me hungry!! Can't wait to have one!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:30 AM

With a foil wrapped sandwich security might have to open it up and verify it's a sandwich if they can't verify it with the x-ray.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:30 PM

J Correa: So, YOU'RE SAYING MY LUCKY DOG WON'T MAKE IT THROUGH THE X-RAY MACHINE?!?!?!!? (And, Yep, I know I'm screaming).
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:09 PM

OK...give. What's a Lucky Dog? Gonna be there mid Novemer.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM
MSS

I bought the olive salad and at our Italian Deli, bought all of the meats and cheeses and had a mufaletta get-to-gether when we got back, laid out the spread and let everyone make their own, complete with our Bourbon Street T-Shirts. The best part was that there was only 1 person eating a sandwich, and one other shopping. Actually, everyplace was deserted---not that I am complaining! Still haven't done a trip report, but working on it. Can't wait to go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -