Myrtle Beach Restaurants

Search

Myrtle Beach Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myrtle Beach Restaurants

We are going to Myrtle Beach for the first time in 6 years - staying 3 nights the beginning of May. Restaurants we are considering are The Library, Cheeseburger in Paradise, and not sure any other must (Collector's Cafe?).

Previously we had enjoyed Thoroughbred's for it's steaks, but recently I've read the prices are sky high, but the service, etc. is not.

We like good steaks, gourmet type food, fun places (we heard at Cheeseburgers in Paradise they toss cocktails like Tom Cruise in Cocktail). Also like nice piano bars. We are late 50s, but enjoy traveling -- 2 couples, no kids.

Can anyone concur with our possibilities or offer other suggestions. Or things on the menus that should not be missed.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Lois
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:46 AM
GoTravel

Piano Bars

Crocodile Rocks (Broadway at the Beach)
Rossi's Piano Bar 88's (Lake Arrowhead Road)

Thoroughbred's is still excellent with superb service.

Not a big fan of Collecters

Cheeseburger In Paradise is good with fun atmosphere.

Good Restaurants:

Bovine's (Murrells Inlet)
Divine Fish House (Murrells Inlet)
Louis Fish Camp (Pawleys)
Biminis (Lake Arrowhead RR)
Chesnut Hill (RR)

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Go Travel's list is excellent.

Here are a few more to consider:

Aspen Grill (on Kings Hwy at about 50th Avenue North, give or take a few avenues)--outstanding food, service & atmosphere

New York Prime (many long-time locals I have talked to say this is the best steak in town)

Skully's & Top Hat Bar (new endeavor, the bar part I believe is an upscale piano bar; haven't been, but the owner I think had some connection to Rossi's, which has been a successful restaurant for a LONG time)

Margaritaville (at Broadway at the Beach; a lot like Cheeseburger, on a larger scale, won't be terribly crowded in early May)

Other fun places: River City Cafe (on 21st Avenue North near the beach; Bummz (on the beach at about 17th Avenue North), and our favorite nice bar, Liberty Taproom (Kings Hwy at 76th Avenue North)--great local beers, great appetizers (especially the ahi tuna tower) & happy hour every day 4-7.

I wouldn't say Collectors is a must--it has a following, but I feel the same way about it GoTravel does. As to the Library, it's very formal, been here forever, but I don't think I know anyone who has actually been there; go figure.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:16 AM

I like Bonefish Grill - especially the martinis!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Bonefish Grill is a chain, mostly East of the Mississippi. I took the family there to one of their Virginia restaurants and was quite surprised how good it was. Their signature dish is an appetizer called Bang Bang Shrimp -- and it's excellent. You could do martinis & bang bang.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

I'm curious as to why some people are "not a big fan of Collector's"?

For the nice piano bars - I assume no reservations are necessary (as they are bar areas). Would they be really crowded the beginning of May (not too late at night). What time would the music start?

We had been to The Library many years ago, and enjoyed it, but I don't remember much about the experience.

Lois
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM
GoTravel

No reservations necessary at 88s or Croc Rocs.

I just did not enjoy my last meal at Collectors.

I have not eaten at The Library in 20 years but it is still very good from what I understand. Like Chuck said, I don't know anyone who has eaten there.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Bonefish is indeed a chain. I had the best lobster of my life at one in Florida. It was my restaurant of choice the last time I was in MB. We ate at several restaurants (on expense accounts) and it was my far the best meal of the trip. When alone, I get take out from a small mom and pop Thai restaurant - but don't know the name.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Lois,

I'll try to explain why I am not really a Collector's fan. I thought the food was very creatively prepared, but the service was somewhat snooty or at least cold (and it was not crowded). There are just too many other great choices not to have it all. That said, Collectors is definitely an IN place with some locals, so maybe it's just me.

Bonefish! I agree--it's one of the best chains I've eaten at. You can't go wrong with the Bang Bang (if you like spicy). Good call Budman and Starrsville.

Starrsville,

the mom & pop Thai place has to be Thai Garden if it's on Kings Highway just south of the Pavilion area. It is good, as is its upscale counterpart, Loyal Thai (on Broadway/501 about a block from its intersection with Kings Hwy, again near the Pavilion).
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. If anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know. We are going with another couple and sometimes we have different taste in things.

Lois
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:57 AM

If the mood strikes you, you could always pop over to Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery at Broadway at the Beach for happy hour (4 to 7) for $2 pints and 1/2 price Apps. They have some good brews.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I visit Myrtle Beach 2-3 times a year and always make sure to go to Collectors. The food is excellent as well as very creatively prepared. I've always found the service very good and the waitresses friendly. It's definitely not for kids, but it can be very noisy. Very expensive!

Bonefish is a chain in the same family as Carrabas. I'm sure you can get a good dinner there, but why go on vacation and go to a chain restaurant? Try something local that you can't get everywhere else!

For a cheap/quick lunch, Joe's is good for burgers or Bummz for the beach view.

For Italian - Villa Tuscanna and Villa Romana are both good. You get a ton of food at Romana. People seems to recommend Rossi's alot, but I wasn't impressed. Umberto's was just plain awful. One of the worst meals I've ever had anywhere. When I complained about my entree, the waitress laughed and confided "I don't like it either!"

Most Overrated- Sea Captain's House. Long wait, boring menu, mediocre food. Great view though and the breakfast buffet is good.

There is an excellent restaurant a short drive away in Murrells Inlet called Tyler's Cove.

Enjoy your trip!
Jeff

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, Jeff.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Budman, we think alike! When I go to Bonefish (here in Knoxville, TN), I always just get the Bang Bang Shrimp and drink Appletini martinis. I have to agree with the others: don't go to Myrtle Beach and eat at chain restaurants. There are too many fabulous restaurants in the area. Drive down to Murrells Inlet and Pawley's Island for some of the best. I would recommend Lee's Inlet Kitchen or Dockside's in Murrells Inlet, and Frank's or the Mayor's House in Pawley's Island.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM

As to Jeff's comments, reasonable minds may differ. Although I wholeheartedly agree about Umbertos not being good.

I would quibble with Jeff on one thing about Sea Captain's House: go for the lunch special, not dinner. The lunch special, published in the local Sun News each day, is almost always really good--and you can't beat the ocean view from the enclosed patio. Dinner menu? Not so hot.

As we've delved into Italian, Jeff strikes again with an insightful comment: Rossi's? Not all that. Some of the smaller places are better. Another to consider is Benny Rappa's in North Myrtle Beach.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM

What about The Parson's Table in North Myrtle?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
iceeu2

Yes, beachdweller and others...what about The Parson's Table?...and what about Martini's (I think that's the name)

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:23 AM

This is like peeling onion layers isn't it?

Parson's Table was very good when we ate there last (that was 4 or 5 years ago, but I have no reason to think it's changed).

Martini's also was about 2 years ago, but we really liked it; very sophisticated atmosphere for MB, some inventive food.

Here's another unlikely gem if you still think of MB as a redneck riviera . . . Sea Blue (it's in NMB on Hwy 17, on the left if you're headed north, across from the Home Depot/Walmart shopping center. Great tapas restaurant, seafood oriented of course.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:11 AM

I have been going to the Myrtle Beach area for 40 years for vacations.

Someone suggested Lee's Inlet Kitchen in Murrel's Inlet, and they are right. I have never gotten a bad meal there. It is a nice place, not a chain, but you do not have to get all dressed up to go there ( a step below business casual).

If you are staying in North Myrtle Beach, I think a trip to Murrel's Inlet is too far - it would take an hour!

If you go to Calabash you may find it to be a bit "blue collar", but the food is good, and at very reasonable prices.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

We too have been to the Parsons Table about 6 years ago and enjoyed it then.

We like sophisticated atmosphere - so Martini's might be good.

We think nothing of driving from NMB to Murrell's Inlet - we get all around the area when we are there.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks all,

Lois