Reload this Page >

Myrtle Beach or Key West

Search

Myrtle Beach or Key West

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Kurtis

Myrtle Beach or Key West

We are hving our wedding in June 2002 and we are trying to decide to have the Honeymoon in Key West, Florida or Myrtle Beach/Hilton Head South Carolina. I can't find any UNBIASED opinions, especially trying to compare the two because they both sound so nice...and "touristy"

Anybody go to both areas recently?

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 11:36 AM
wes fowler

Kurtis,
I just posted a trip report of sorts regarding the charming town of Georgetown, South Carolina and one of its loveliest bed and breakfasts. Do a search here for South Carolina or a text search for "A couple of South Carolinian Delights"

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 11:51 AM
susan

I'm one of many who won't be able to give a non-biased opinion, since Key West is my favorite vacation destination. For more information than you'll want, you can do a back search on this board. My husband and I were in the Savannah/Charleston area a couple of months ago and drove over to Hilton Head. We've always heard wonderful things about it and we were both eager to give it a look. Basically, we decided that Hilton Head would be ideal for people who play golf and/or who have small children. We drove through one of the "plantations" and there were kids and parents biking everywhere. The homes and condos were lovely, but it was more a "family" atmosphere than we desire. Having never been to Myrtle Beach, I can't comment on it.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Jan

Hi
I am from Australia and have been to all 3 places.
Key West would be my first suggestion by only if you like warm humidity - if you like the sun, sand and tropics and a more lay-about lifestyle then this is for you.
Hilton Head is very nice but as one person said it is more "family" than perhaps you may like.
Myrtle Beach is dreadful. Driving down the street is like an advertisement for junk food outlets and putt putts. Its tacky and I could find nothing about it that would make me want to stay there even for lunch!
Thats my unbiased opinion for what its worth.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 03:14 PM
don

Key West would be. by far, the most romantic of the three. I have found Myrtle Beach to be mostly a family type beach and Hilton Head mainly a golf resort. Key West is more adult and the ocean and the water are beautiful! Great nightlife and restaurants.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Celeste

Just don;t expect great beaches in Key West!

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Toni

We were in Charleston, Savannah, Beaufort and Myrtle Beach this past April. Loved the first three and truly despised Myrtle Beach. It is one long strip mall with literally hundreds of miniature golf courses and fried sea food buffets. Would never go back there again ever, ever, ever!!!!

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Lisa

I have been to Myrtle Beach but not Key West, however, I would have to say that Key West would be much better for a honeymoon. Myrtle Beach is nice if your going on vacation with a group of friends or family because it has a variety of things to do (shopping, golf, beach). Key West is on my list, I'm working my way there. I have spoke to several people and seen the pictures and it looks and sounds beautiful and fun!

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 05:59 AM
ssurp

Having been to both, and admittedly a Key West fanatic, I hope I'm not too biased. I whole heartedly agree with the above post that Myrtle Beach is very tacky with no personality of its own. KW has a laid back feel all its own. Outside of Duval St.(the main "tourist" street in KW) it has a laid-back, tropical feel that is the perfect atmosphere for a honeymoon. Make sure you stay in Old Town if you go; that's where all the action is. Hotel Marquesa would be a perfect honeymoon spot for you to stay, and I'm sure other posters on the board would agree. In my opinion, definitely choose KW.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 02:02 PM
x

Key West. My husband and I went for our anniversary. We stayed at a small guesthouse in Old Town - very romantic. We went in the pool and hot tub every night. There was a hidden hammock for two. The only time we saw the other guests was at breakfast.

Key West has it all. You can lay around the pool or beach all day (beaches aren't great, but aren't that bad.) or see some sights. There are tons of great restaurants.

What really made it romantic for me was that it is a walking town. Walking along, hand in hand, exploring, reading menus and deciding where to go for dinner - to me, that's romantic.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Romantic

Very well stated "X"! You took the words right out of our mouths. We also have the same feeling as you & your husband! Great reply! Thanks!